What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electroair with Garmin

pilotman93

I'm New Here
Hello everyone!

Long-time lurker first-time poster. Hoping someone on here can help.

I just had a dual EI system installed from Electroair. We are having issues getting it to jive correctly with the G3x Touch. We used both tach wires from the EI boxes straight to the GEA24. We connected them to RPM1 and RPM2 which is pin 8 and 6. However, we are getting some weird readings.

1. If we set the RPM setting, in config mode, to have both RPMs be EI, with EI system off, Garmin reads 1400 RPM with the engine off... However, once the system is turned on, it goes back to 0 and reads correctly through all the RPM ranges.

2. If we set the RPM setting to plead, it seems to fix the issue with reading a high RPM when the system is off. However, on this setting, I will get random jumps of RPM when turning the EI on/off. This, so far, is the most workable setting. However, it still doesn't seem right.

Any suggestions or others with the same setup? I know there are others so I can't be the only one.

Thank you!

GND reference missing.

To read a signal two (2) wires are required. In this case the GND reference is
missing. G3Xt, IM rev AQ pg 31-1 note 7. See below BOLD.
Assuming you have four cylinder engine. Electroair IM rev 03 pg 28.
There is no information in the diagram about the thach signal GND.
I think it´s a high probability that Electroair is using the power GND as signal
reference. If so, connect GEA 24, J243 pin 7 to power GND at the GEA 24 will solve the problem. Make a phone call to Electroair to confirm this.
Ph: 517-552-9390

Good luck

GROUNDING METHODS FOR ELECTRONIC TACH SIGNALS MAY VARY BASED ON THE MANUFACTURER. CONSULT THE ELECTRONIC IGNITION MANUFACTURER DOCUMENTATION FOR SPECIFIC GROUNDING GUIDANCE.

To read a signal two (2) wires are required. In this case the GND reference is
missing. G3Xt, IM rev AQ pg 31-1 note 7. See below BOLD.
Assuming you have four cylinder engine. Electroair IM rev 03 pg 28.
There is no information in the diagram about the thach signal GND.
I think it´s a high probability that Electroair is using the power GND as signal
reference. If so, connect GEA 24, J243 pin 7 to power GND at the GEA 24 will solve the problem. Make a phone call to Electroair to confirm this.
Ph: 517-552-9390

Good luck

GROUNDING METHODS FOR ELECTRONIC TACH SIGNALS MAY VARY BASED ON THE MANUFACTURER. CONSULT THE ELECTRONIC IGNITION MANUFACTURER DOCUMENTATION FOR SPECIFIC GROUNDING GUIDANCE.
Thanks, this is really helpful. Does each Electroair box power gnd need to run to pin 7 or just one of them?

The coil packs (2) need to be connected to GND, see attachment.
If the coil packs are mounted to the engine, connect to engine GND.
If coil pack are mounted on the firewall, connect to GND bus.
Engine GND cable goes to battery negative and GND bus.
GEA24 is also connected to the GND bus.
You need a short wire from GEA24, J243 pin 7 to nearest GND.
This would probably be power GND to the GEA24, J241 pin 6 or 9.

Good luck.

Attachments

• IM Experimental_.pdf
    179.9 KB · Views: 46
The coil packs (2) need to be connected to GND, see attachment.
If the coil packs are mounted to the engine, connect to engine GND.
If coil pack are mounted on the firewall, connect to GND bus.
Engine GND cable goes to battery negative and GND bus.
GEA24 is also connected to the GND bus.
You need a short wire from GEA24, J243 pin 7 to nearest GND.
This would probably be power GND to the GEA24, J241 pin 6 or 9.

Good luck.
Thanks for the information. Do you believe I need to run two wires from J241 to J243? In the pinout diagram for J243 it shows pin 5 and 7 are RPM GND. Do I need both or just one of them?

Back