What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing tip lens for older flat top wing tip

DickG

I want to move my position lights mounted externally on the wing tip into a lens. I also want to install a landing light under the lens. Does anyone have those available for sale? Or do I need to make a mold and build my own?

I want to move my position lights mounted externally on the wing tip into a lens. I also want to install a landing light under the lens. Does anyone have those available for sale? Or do I need to make a mold and build my own?

Vans sells an insert kit for those wingtips.

catalog.cgi

Thank you

Thank you for the link at Vans, I couldn't find the part when I searched Van's website. I'll check out RMD, too.

wing tip lens kit

I have a complete lens kit for the RV 6 wing that I will sell for $50. I started to install them and then decided to go with another style for a larger landing light wig wag system.
One side is trimmed to fit a wing tip, but the other side is not. They will work in the old style wing tip.

Dale F. Field

RMD

Hi Dick, I'm not sure if the kit from Van's will allow installation of a landing light with the other two. It may, so those that have used all three with Van's kit, speak up and correct me. I used a kit from RMD that will accomodate all three, landing, strobe and position lights. Not cheap, but looks very good with landing lights on each tip and a bit of fitting to the flat top tips. Good luck!

The Airtech tips linked in the post above will allow a small landing light to be included in addition to strobe/position lights, but it's tight. I just finished glassing in the kits to my -6A wingtips and with the CreativeAir LED position lights/Halogen landing light combo, it's a tight but workable fit.

Dale, please contact me.

I'm interested in your lenses. Please contact me. 313-819-8303 Thank you, Dick

Dick,
My cell number is 320 493 2682.
I drive a big rig, and have it by my side all the time. Call anytime between 7am and 5pm, central time, and we can talk.
I am hitting the rack, 8:27 pm
Dale

RMD Wingtip Landing Light Kit for RV-4/6

I’ve got a new in box RMD Aircraft Lighting Inc kit for an RV-4/6. I’ll be putting a landing light in each wingtip. It looks like the company isn’t around anymore, at least I can’t find them.

I’m finding the instructions hard to follow. I’d appreciate a pointer to a YouTube video or a call with someone that’s installed them. Some photos of what they look like installed will also be a big help.

Also, I swapped out the original GE lights for LED lights. If anyone needs a pair of unused landing light bulbs I’m happy to send them to a good home.

Best
Harry

Attachments

• 9E80E126-9AE2-4533-9677-DDDEA69DEFCD.jpg
    9E80E126-9AE2-4533-9677-DDDEA69DEFCD.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 55
I have these, here is a photo of mine installed, I didn’t install them so I can’t offer any guidance on installation.

Attachments

• 404C6E42-3F55-45FB-BA9B-A86166FE5758.jpg
    404C6E42-3F55-45FB-BA9B-A86166FE5758.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 50
Hi Harry

Hopefully a couple of pictures from two of my customers might be of some help to you.
IMG_3279.jpg

Roger H 6 Custom.jpg

We have a Flyleds kit to suit these as well, shown here with our Combo landing/taxi lights.

Roger H 800.jpg

RMD light fixtures.

I’ve got a new in box RMD Aircraft Lighting Inc kit for an RV-4/6. I’ll be putting a landing light in each wingtip. It looks like the company isn’t around anymore, at least I can’t find them.
I’m finding the instructions hard to follow. I’d appreciate a pointer to a YouTube video or a call with someone that’s installed them. Some photos of what they look like installed will also be a big help.

I have these installed in SuzieQ. I had the left wing in before I had finished the airplane and just recently put the right side in. I like them. They do take some work to get in but are worth it. Sad to hear they are not in business anymore.

I'll take some pictures of my installation and describe what I did, clarify the instructions (which I still have, I believe!) and maybe we can talk some. No YouTube video, sorry to say. Not that sophisticated. We will help you get them in.

PS: the one in the picture is for the left wing and is upsidedown....:p

Back