What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTX335 XPonder - Standby to ALT to Standby

tonyharr

I'm New Here
Hoping someone can help me clear up a potential issue we have with the Garmin GTX 335 Transponder in our Vans RV10.

When taking off the transponder will automatically switch from Standby to ALT if you forget to do it yourself.

Should it / is there a way for the Transponder to switch back from ALT to Standby as you are on the ground taxiing?

The question comes about after someone flew the aircraft the other day and said that it should do that "if it is connected". Is that a hardwire thing or a software config item?

The manual for the Garmin that I have read says that by design the transponder should be in ALT at all times (i.e. when taxiing) so it should not need to switch back to standby as you are taxiing back to the hanger.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
tony

ALT all the time now

Years ago you were suppose to switch it to stand-by when on the ground.
Since ADSB you are now suppose to leave it on ALT all the time.
Aircraft on the ground show up as brown on your map.

As poster #2 said, here in the US the current rule is ‘transponder on ALT all the time’, and most newer transponders (like yours) can be configured to do just that. Question is, what are the rules in Australia?

Sorry

Sorry, I did not notice you are in Australia. But yes there should be software setting to allow or disable this, best to contact Garmin directly for the answer if no one has the answer here.

X-ponder on/off

As I understand it. newer X-ponders are meant to be set on ALT-mode.
(this in by STC, Supplemental Type Certificate for certified aircraft).
If you have a weight on wheel switch this sets GND-mode.
If no weight on wheel switch is installed, GND-mode is activated at a default GS speed e.i. 40 kt.
This function can be disabled by not installing a hard-wire at the back-shell.
Then you turn ON/OFF the X-ponder manually.

Good luck

Back