What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Presure sensor and testing if it works

dave4754

Well Known Member
Hello:

I have completed my RV 7 and installed a Red Cube downstream of gascolator and engine driven pump.

I am not getting any readings to my Dynon D 1000 so i thought to test the pressure sensor which was sourced as used.

Any ideas i might use to test this sensor?

Dave
p.s. first flight occurred Nov 23 and good to go

Are you asking about testing the fuel pressure sensor? Is your sensor connected to the EMS or to a steam gauge?

Testing pressure sensors

*** To clarify this if for testing a pressure sensor, not a flow transducer. ***

If you have a harbor freight blow gun for your air compressor the nozzle has the same thread as your sensor.

First set the regulator pressure to a low enough pressure about mid range on your gauge and test it is correct without the sender. Install the sender to the blow gun and test. I used Teflon tape to make sure I have a good seal (only on the blow gun, not on the plane). You can adjust to multiple set points to confirm.

Use the existing gauge to confirm it is working. If no reading still use a volt meter to test the sensor. Not sure if you have a resistance sender or a voltage based sender.

You can validate the accuracy of your air compressor using a second pressure gauge.

Last edited:
It sounds like you're confusing the pressure sensor and the flow rate transducer. The FT-60 "red cube" is a flow rate transducer. You need to install a 2nd sensor for fuel pressure. If you have the red cube configured in the Dynon as a pressure sensor it will output zero data, since the red cube outputs digital square wave pulses based on flow, and most pressure sensors output a 0-5V analog signal.

Please do not put any pressurized air through the red cube. I'm not positive on how the internals are designed in the FT-60, but if its a turbine flow transducer, you'll likely overspeed the turbine and if you don't completely kill the unit, you'll at least wreck the calibration of it.

EDIT: The 2 different sensors also have to go to different pins on the dynon. It looks like the red cube default input is to be connected to C37, pin 14. Fuel pressure default pin is C37, pin 8. Verify you wired them to the correct spots.

Last edited:
Thank you

Thanks to all. I did not know any of this.

The last comment i think is where i will go. i routed the fuel line from my FT 60 to a manifold and then put in a used fuel pressure sender that i wired to Dynon C37.

I will look this over again.

Dave

Thanks to all. I did not know any of this.

The last comment i think is where i will go. i routed the fuel line from my FT 60 to a manifold and then put in a used fuel pressure sender that i wired to Dynon C37.

I will look this over again.

Dave

That's unusual. Most people take fuel pressure off the engine-driven pump, via a restrictor fitting, to the 3-port manifold mounted on the firewall (FP and Oil Pressure).

Back