What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding a flop tube for acro

Maxrate

Well Known Member
I haven’t installed the wings permanently so it should be an easy retrofit. For anyone that’s had the fuel tank apart to change from the standard pickup to the flop tube, did you have to remove the outer rib for access, or can the mod be done through the access cover? Also, can the standard Vans float style sender be used?

I know this questions been covered before, but what about removing tank sealant? I plan on only modifying one tank.

I added a flop tube to a completed tank on a -8. The details were in the plans. You have to move the tank level sender to the next bay. It was a PITA. Getting the tank sealer off was the easy part. There is a big whole to drill through the tank rib and details to be added inside the tank. It took forever to get all the metal chips out even though I taped over the back side of all the drilled holes. The fuel sender geometry is different when it is located on the aft baffle in the other bay. It calibrates well and reads accurately in level flight but is way off with the tail on the ground. If you were ever to have a problem with the tank sender you have to remove the tank.

I found this post after I was done.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=150534

Last edited:
I agonized about that installation for a month.
I found that story the night I finished

Back