What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN Traffic 'failure'.

To enter configuration mode, hold down the MENU key while powering on the GDU 4XX, the Configuration Mode page appears.
35.4.3 System Information Page.
The System Page is used to display LRU specific information such as Software Version, Unit ID’s, System ID’s, and Database information for the various
databases used by the GDU 4XX. This page has no user selectable options. Faults are indicated by a Red X next to the affected LRU.
Scroll down to see the installed Traffic unit.

Good luck

To enter configuration mode, hold down the MENU key while powering on the GDU 4XX, the Configuration Mode page appears.
35.4.3 System Information Page.
The System Page is used to display LRU specific information such as Software Version, Unit ID’s, System ID’s, and Database information for the various
databases used by the GDU 4XX. This page has no user selectable options. Faults are indicated by a Red X next to the affected LRU.
Scroll down to see the installed Traffic unit.

Good luck

I have a GTX 45R and it's says all is working correctly in the LRUs section.

just updated my G3X to 9.14 and now I'm seeing 'Traffic Failure' intermittently on my GTN. Anyone have an ideas?

Charlie,

Your GTX 45R transponder provides ADS-B traffic and weather data over RS-232 to your GDU 4XX display(s) and over Ethernet to your GTN.

The configuration and wiring for these interfaces is shown on page 27-33 of the current Rev. AQ G3X Touch Installation manual.

Are you seeing ADS-B traffic and weather on your GDU 4XX displays?

Steve

Charlie,

Your GTX 45R transponder provides ADS-B traffic and weather data over RS-232 to your GDU 4XX display(s) and over Ethernet to your GTN.

The configuration and wiring for these interfaces is shown on page 27-33 of the current Rev. AQ G3X Touch Installation manual.

Are you seeing ADS-B traffic and weather on your GDU 4XX displays?

Steve

Traffic and weather were working great before the upgrade to 9.14 (from 9.01). Wiring was done by a professional shop and everything has always worked flawless before this. I see get weather but traffic is intermittent.

Traffic and weather were working great before the upgrade to 9.14 (from 9.01). Wiring was done by a professional shop and everything has always worked flawless before this. I see get weather but traffic is intermittent.
Charlie,

You said in your first post that you were "seeing 'Traffic Failure' intermittently on my GTN".

I asked you if you were seeing traffic and weather on your GDU 4XX displays, and you said "I see get weather but traffic is intermittent".

Are you talking about both the GDU 4XX displays AND the GTN, or just the GTN?

Can you explain what you mean by "traffic is intermittent"? What exactly are you seeing on all displays?

The G3X Touch displays do not provide traffic to the GTN (the GTX 45R does), so upgrading to V9.14 should not have affected this.

Since you seem to be having some sort of issue related to the transponder, I would start by getting a PAPR report from the FAA. These are quick and easy to get and will let you know if there is anything wrong with the ADS-B Out transmissions from your aircraft.

Steve

Last edited:
Charlie,

You said in your first post that you were "seeing 'Traffic Failure' intermittently on my GTN".

I asked you if you were seeing traffic and weather on your GDU 4XX displays, and you said "I see get weather but traffic is intermittent".

Are you talking about both the GDU 4XX displays AND the GTN, or just the GTN?

Can you explain what you mean by "traffic is intermittent"? What exactly are you seeing on all displays?

The G3X Touch displays do not provide traffic to the GTN (the GTX 45R does), so upgrading to V9.14 should not have affected this.

Since you seem to be having some sort of issue related to the transponder, I would start by getting a PAPR report from the FAA. These are quick and easy to get and will let you know if there is anything wrong with the ADS-B Out transmissions from your aircraft.

Steve

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I misspoke. After checking my logbook I see that I upgraded to 9.14, it was later on (2weeks) that I updated the GTX 45R to ver 2.80. It was after the GTX update that traffic on the GTN became intermittent. The G3X is showing traffic all the time without any failures. The GTN shows traffic sometimes but other times is says 'traffic failed' on the traffic screen. On the map page I see a little white 'X' over the traffic icon too. It comes and goes.

I just performed a PAPR report and it looks good. No errors. I'm running the latest software on my GTN too.

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I misspoke. After checking my logbook I see that I upgraded to 9.14, it was later on (2weeks) that I updated the GTX 45R to ver 2.80. It was after the GTX update that traffic on the GTN became intermittent. The G3X is showing traffic all the time without any failures. The GTN shows traffic sometimes but other times is says 'traffic failed' on the traffic screen. On the map page I see a little white 'X' over the traffic icon too. It comes and goes.

I just performed a PAPR report and it looks good. No errors. I'm running the latest software on my GTN too.

Hi Charlie,

We will attempt to recreate this problem on our bench this week and report back here with what we find. Thank you for filling us in on your problem.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Justin (above) is far more qualified to comment on this than I am, but I was working with someone recently who had a very similar issue. His aircraft has been flying for several years and the only change he made was updating the G3X software to 9.14. He was still getting traffic on his PFD/MFD but not the GTN. After running through his configurations I couldn't find anything amiss. On a whim I had him change the position integrity on the transponder page from "auto" to "IFR GPS 1e-7" and that resolved his issue. While I'm not 100% certain we didn't fix something else while going through the configuration, this might be worth a try.

Last edited:
Same issue

Justin (above) is far more qualified to comment on this than I am, but I was working with someone recently who had a very similar issue. His aircraft has been flying for several years and the only change he made was updating the G3X software to 9.14. He was still getting traffic on his PFD/MFD but not the GTN. After running through his configurations I couldn't find anything amiss. On a whim I had him change the position integrity on the transponder page from "auto" to "IFR GPS 1e-7" and that resolved his issue. While I'm not 100% certain we didn't fix something else while going through the configuration, this might be worth a try.

I seem to be having the exact same issue. I get traffic on the G3X's but not on the 750. Just has: (Traffic X out on the 750)

My FAA ADSB report looks fine. Any downside going from "auto" to "IFR GPS 1e-7"?

Attachments

• GTN 750.jpg
    GTN 750.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 51
Position Integrity

"There is a problem with the transponder Position Integrity setting in Software versions 9.10, 9.12 and 9.13. If Position Integrity is set to AUTO, the display will configure the transponder to the equivalent of SIL 0 in error. The behavior of AUTO mode is corrected in v9.14. If unable to update to 9.14 right away, you can manually configure your Position Integrity to 1e-7 in the Transponder Configuration page within the G3X Touch to correctly transmit ADS-B Messages."

Posted by G3X expert.

Seems the behavior might still be an issue in 9.14. Changed to 1e-7 (From Auto) and now works?? (For now) I have 9.14 and updated to the newest Garmin G45R software.

I seem to be having the exact same issue. I get traffic on the G3X's but not on the 750. Just has: (Traffic X out on the 750)

My FAA ADSB report looks fine. Any downside going from "auto" to "IFR GPS 1e-7"?

This is exactly the problem I see on my GTN. What does it show if you go to the traffic page?

IFR GPS 1e-7

After changing to IFR GPS 1e-7 traffic screen shows correct traffic display. Before showed "Failed" or something like that.

What GTX software are you running? Go to GTN, System, LRU, select info on the GTX. You'll see 'main software version' and 'ADS-B Software Version'.

version 2.80

I updated the transponder early November to version 2.80. All new features seemed to work well after this. I am fairly sure traffic worked on the GTN but I typically monitor it on the G3X so possible I didn’t notice it gone.

Traffic failure on the GTN explained

Ater some back and forth with the good people at Garmin they have an answer to my issue.

"It has to do with the software in the GTX 45R, the way it processes ADS-B targets.

The best solution we have at the moment is for you to backload the software in the GTX 45R to the previous version. Engineering is on this case and they may come out with an update for either the GTX or the GTN to fix it soon, so you might want to wait for a bit, also.

If you want to backload your transponder, let me know and I will send you the file".

I am a little surprised there are not more people complaining about the issue but since you get traffic on the GTX and more use the PFD for this maybe not. What is strange is it would work on the GTN while on the ground most of the time. Just FYI and hopefully we get an update soon. I am not going to backload as I really like the new features how the GTN interfaces without using Bluetooth and from my understanding does this on the can bus and works well for me.

Best Regards,
Katie

Intermittent Traffic

Good Afternoon,

We have recreated and resolved the problem reported in this thread. We will issue a Service Advisory shortly to raise broad awareness to it, I will copy a link to the document here when it is published.

The problem results in a loss of traffic on GTN Series Navigators and GNC 355/GPS 175 Navigators, if they are provided with traffic data from a GTX X45(R)(D) transponder, in a G3X Touch System. GTN Xi is not effected.

A forthcoming GTX transponder update with address this problem, that will result in traffic being restored on the GTN and GPS175/GNC355.

Until the software update is available, traffic should be referenced elsewhere in the cockpit. It is still available on the G3X Touch display, or a portable device connected to the transponder via Bluetooth.

Thanks,

Justin

Hi,

Just wondering if you had any update on this or any idea when we may see a fix?

thanks!

Good Morning Charlie,

We are in process on a Transponder software update to provide a permanant fix. This service document is effective until that occurs.

Thanks,

Justin

My friend's 45R was upgraded as part of a repair to version 2.80 and now the traffic is failing on 650. The plan is to wait till the next release which hopefully will fix this.

Rolled the dice

Installed the latest Garmin transponder software. Install went well and test flight this afternoon traffic back to normal on the GTN.

I’m still not seeing METAR’s on the GTN and G3X along with Pireps and Sigmets on the FIS-B. TFR, Turbulence and Icing coming in and getting a good ADSB report. Been this week for the last 2 weeks. Maybe a local issue. Just came up about a week ago. Doubt related to the traffic issue.

Update

After almost 3 weeks new transponder software working well. I have not updated to the latest G3X software.

Back