What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should I remove my APRS Transmitter?

pa38112

Well Known Member
I installed a APRS transmitter back before the day of ADS-b. Now that I have ADS-b I am wondering if I should remove my APRS transmitter to reduce frequency congestion? I kind of like the idea of having both in case I am in an area of poor ADS-b reception, but that is going to be the very rare exception. If the right thing to do is free up the airwaves then I will.

I installed a APRS transmitter back before the day of ADS-b. Now that I have ADS-b I am wondering if I should remove my APRS transmitter to reduce frequency congestion? I kind of like the idea of having both in case I am in an area of poor ADS-b reception, but that is going to be the very rare exception. If the right thing to do is free up the airwaves then I will.

If you still like having APRS then how has the rational for using it changed? :)

Sam,
Now that I can track my flights with ADS-b, that is my primary source of tracking information. I have not looked at my APRS tracks for about a year and a half.

ADS-B has certainly changed the situation, each user will decide what is best for them. I was just reacting to your quote:

" I kind of like the idea of having both in case I am in an area of poor ADS-b reception...."

I'm leaving mine installed and working. My wife has another way of tracking my flights if I'm X-C (redundancy).

-Marc

My APRS is installed and working. If something happens to it, then maybe it will come out.

My big question is do I install APRS in the RV-8 I am building or just use the ADS-B track. I have a few more years to make that decision.

APRS seems to always work even at low altitudes in remote locations. I can't say that about ADSB.

APRS seems to always work even at low altitudes in remote locations. I can't say that about ADSB.

There are a lot of places in the west where it doesn't work at low altitude, some places even at higher altitudes. Really depends on the location of repeaters. But I have been surprised at some remote places where it does work (like central Yukon). Just another tool in the bag, in my opinion. I like mine, but also worth knowing the potential limitations (my wife once panicked for a while when the signal stopped in central NV because of lack of repeater stations).

Link to a map of digipeaters:

http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps/NorthAmericaLarge.htm

Not all are shown on here (and the map is probably a bit dated) but one can see the lack of repeaters in some areas.

Hidden APRS Antenna in wing tip

Has anyone been successful installing a dipole in the fiberglass wing tip?
I tried one of those 6’ twin lead J-poles with no luck. Saw a 37” dipole for high altitude balloons and figured it might lay right in the tip nicely. I know, I know it’s not necessary with ADS-B but way back when, I went to a lot of trouble installing the transmitter in the wing tip with access panels and remote switching and I want to see the darn thing work. I still check Vlad’s flights occasionally and the tracking on his plane is outstanding even in the middle of no where out west where he roams .

Back