What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque Wrench

rondawes

Well Known Member
Since I'm now in the world of self-maintenance, I find my self in need of a torque wrench. What torque range is appropriate? Harbor Freight quality good enough or do I need to get something a bit better? Thanks!

Shop around for a good quality 1/4" drive torque wrench, which you will find useful for most RV type applications. Also a 1/2" drive for plugs, prop bolts etc:.

Although I’m guilty of buying harbor freight tools on occasion, they don’t touch my plane . Get a decent torque wrench.

Shop around for a good quality 1/4" drive torque wrench, which you will find useful for most RV type applications. Also a 1/2" drive for plugs, prop bolts etc:.

What range of torques? They come is various ranges.

Both of my torque wrenches are from harbor freight. Both have been calibrated and certified and are used on aircraft every day. I mostly use an in/lb 1/4" drive and a ft/lb 3/8" drive.

Aviation spark plugs are torqued to 360 - 420 inch pounds. My 3/8" drive is the only torque wrench I use (post build).

I just had non-click event (3rd actually) on my 1974 Mac wrench forcing a play.

I can confirm that CDI is a snap-on company. The Williams brand and CDI brands are assembled in City of Industry CA. Williams and S-O are all USA parts, CDI is world sourced. I got a CDI brand, Amazon.

The MAC T150FR has served me well. MAC would not service it, as it has a babbit plug poured into the end to prevent calibration. A clever design with little tamper traps like the temple of doom. Washers that spin to thwart drilling etc. I got it out safely, lubed and recalibrated the MAC within 1.5%. The internals were only polished not really worn. Repairing saved me $200 for a new CDI or cost $1500 in labor. :eek:

If one wants to check calibration, I used the electronic torque meter from HF, a real deal for it's function. It looks like they are discontinuing this meter, only $20 on clearance.

The CDI is a 3/8" with 100 ft-lb max more size and range match to the -7. It will fit better in the spar box.

To the OP's question, I use a 0-80 in-lb beam, 50-200 in-lb click and now the CDI 10-100 ft-lb click. And a Fat wrench to check the 25 in-lb items on annual. A 1/4" drive digital with beep , 20-100 in-lb would be a welcome improvement and time saver for odd positions on annuals. The beam is limited in its uses due to lack of positioning and viewing.

Last edited:
A 1/4" drive digital with beep , 20-100 in-lb would be a welcome improvement and time saver for odd positions on annuals. The beam is limited in its uses due to lack of positioning and viewing.

I purchased one of those 1/4" drive digital with beep. Snap-On Tech Angle (12-240 in-lb). It is great and checks calibration automatically on power up. It can also account for torque extenders by merely entering the offset length right into the device. That saves time and avoids miscalculations. The head can also tilt with a locking index. As the torque value is reached there is a light bar scale that comes up yellow and then changes to green at torque. It changes to red if over-torqued and keeps beeping. The torque value is shown continuously from zero up to final torque as you apply pressure to the handle. I hide it well and try to keep it out of sight as it is one thing I won't loan out.

Back