What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aspen....

Pave Tim

I don't see much on the Aspen line. Anyone running them and if so, thoughts? Pretty straight forward install?

I had a set of Aspen displays in a former certified airplane. Nice units.

My opinion is that they don’t have much presence in the experimental market due to being more expensive than a G3X setup, much smaller displays and not as feature rich or flexible in programming, nearly all driven by the different natures of experimental vs certified markets. Now Garmin has a line of the G3X going for the certified market, maybe Aspen will take that cue and put a product into to the experimental world. But the issue is less a display and more an avionics ecosystem issue.

Last edited:
For us, its form and function. In our application, using a G3X would require a major panel modification that we are not willing to do.

I agree that the G3X would be nicer though,

I put an Aspen in to my RV7 back in about 2014 because our regulator then required TSOd instruments for IFR.
I subsequently put a G3X touch next to it.
They’re just chalk and cheese. The Aspen is a boat anchor by comparison.
Once the G3X was installed I literally never looked at the Aspen again.
I see no reason to put one of them in an RV.
If space is a constraint, put in one or two G5s

76CF3607-9458-45DB-ABE8-EB823A306233.jpeg

I have flown with the Aspen and also with a pair of G5s in C172s. I personally preferred the G5s. As a matter of fact after flying with the G5 I decided to remove the Mini-X that I was planning for my panel. I originally thought the display would be too small for these aging eyes but actually Garmin presents the information quite well. The easier integration with my G3X system was an additional factor for me.

I think the installation would be about the same but I don't have specifics about the Aspen install.

Back