What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming, the name

BruceW

Well Known Member
Found this interesting. Didnt know.
Working from back to front. . . .

Lycoming Creek ( from Wikipedia)
The local Lenape (Delaware) people called it Legani-hanne, meaning "sandy stream" - the name was later rendered by Europeans as Lycaumick and then Lycoming.

Lycoming County (from Wikipedia)
Lycoming County was originally named Jefferson County in honor of Thomas Jefferson. This name proved to be unsatisfactory. The name change went through several steps. First a change to Lycoming County was rejected, next the name Susquehanna County was struck down as was Muncy County, before the legislature revisited and settled on Lycoming County for Lycoming Creek, the stream that was the center of the pre-Revolutionary border dispute.

Lycoming Engines (from Lycoming page)
It began in 1845 as the Demorest Manufacturing Company producing sewing machines and bicycles in Williamsport, PA. The machinery always hinted greater things were to come. Becoming Lycoming Foundry and Machine Company in 1907, Lycoming developed automobile engines in a market driven by the needs of a nation at war.

… and if you ever get the opportunity to take a tour, I highly recommend it. I was lucky enough to coordinate the tour when my Thunderbolt was being built. The folks there definitely take pride in the engines they build.

Just found it interesting that the name root came from white folks mispronouncing Indian name of a CREEK.
Apparently carried on from there.

Back