What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit status website

Does anyone have a feel if lead times are getting better or worse?

Lead times have been getting longer at this time. The simple math version is this: the number of orders we receive each week is up and has been for some time, which means it takes longer to make the parts needed for all the orders in an all-else-equal world. In the real world, the math is nowhere near that simple, of course. That said, we are actively engaged in expanding manufacturing capacity and capability both internally (additional personnel/shifts where possible) and externally (expansion and addition of manufacturing partners). These are. not quick-flip-of-a-switch types of changes, but we're making them happen as quickly as possible while still striving to maintain quality, of course.

Greg, thanks for the update. I will continue to wait as patiently as possible for my tail kit. First time in a while I've felt like a kid waiting on Christmas.

Are yall having problems getting raw materials or is this more the employee/time/massive demand issue? For us in the AG world we are hearing some inputs not available at all for the coming crop season.

Well I just got charged $7.64 for my supposed 5.00 to my door 2022 calendar because I checked least expensive shipping...

I beat you. I got charged $8.10 for the $5.00 shipped calendar. I chose "Regular - United States Postal Service (USPS)." Just like the instructions said in order to get free shipping and still didn’t get free shipping.

It looks like a couple errors were made on calendar shipping for a small number of people. New people sometimes takes a learning moment especially with 5000 calendars heading out the door. Send me an email (Greg at vans Aircraft dot com) and I’ll make sure it gets adjusted if you were charged for shipping.

Thanks Greg. I already received a refund of the shipping price without even having to call. Thanks for the proactive approach!!
BTW, the new calendar looks GREAT.

Any idea what is going on with the kit status page? Everybody status shows November 9th. I thought there was a place on the Vans website that showed the current orders being shipped but I can no longer find that.

I am wondering when they assign an estimated crating date. My RV-10 empennage was ordered five months ago (when the estimated lead time was 4 months), and there is no estimated date.

You may want to call Vans. In some cases (ie my Fuselage), it was waiting for crating until I made the final payment. Vans said they are trying to call people when they are ready to crate, but sometimes that call is delayed. In my call to them, they told me they needed my payment, I paid that day & the crating date was shortly thereafter.

Is there some place on the website to see your kit order history, payments, balance due? I am finding my “store” orders but not my kit financial info.

Is there some place on the website to see your kit order history, payments, balance due? I am finding my “store” orders but not my kit financial info.

You can view kit status information for open kit orders at https://www.vansaircraft.com/kitstatus

We do not include financial information such as payment history and balance due on that site. You can reach out to our Kits team and ask them to send/tell you that information.

Thanks Greg. That answers my question. I have used the kit status site but was looking for balance information and history. Have a great weekend.

You can view kit status information for open kit orders at https://www.vansaircraft.com/kitstatus

We do not include financial information such as payment history and balance due on that site. You can reach out to our Kits team and ask them to send/tell you that information.

Kit status page not updating again

The kit status page seems to have quit updating again. The last update date is stuck at April 6th.

I'm not sure if that's a bad thing - the only changes to my crating date have been to extend it, not shorten it...

Mark

Are the lead times accurate?

I ordered my wings and Emp in late October. I was given a May-June crating for the wings and a July - August crating for the Emp, and that hasn't changed. Interestingly enough, the lead times on the web page kept shrinking to where I could have waited to order and not lost my place in line. I guess Vans may finally be catching up.

So I look at the lead times today and the emp is saying 1 month. That is great but my crating date is still July - Aug. Unless my math is bad, that is 3-4 months. The lead time for wings is May - June, just like for my crate.

Hopefully I'll get a notice that my emp will be ready early. Sure would love to start that instead of my wings

Extremely frustrated with lead times.

I am celebrating today 1.5 years of wait time on my finish kit back ordered items. When I saw an email with an invoice from Vans yesterday I thought: Finally!!!

But no...

Still, a few items are back-ordered. especially the wheels... Vans says there are almost 100 kits back ordered with no forecast at all of when they will be fulfilled.

Okay, I understand all the supply chain challenges and stuff but come on. Alternative solutions could have been put in place in a 2-year time frame...

Definitely feeling like Vans take fanatic customers for granted...

We take no one for granted, and know we have people in relatively new positions here who are dedicated to chasing supply chain, back orders, and other issues. Things have improved, but the supply chain isn’t perfect. Between materials shortages, third party vendor manufacturing and staffing problems, and a variety of other issues there are still opportunities for improvement across the industry.

For RV-10 and RV-14 kit builders we will have final info on Beringer wheels and Brakes as an upgrade option next week. That’s been an aftermarket option available for a few years, but we will be offering them though Van’s as well. Finding and onboarding alternative suppliers and parts means kit changes, which requires evaluation and testing before we can make a decision to distribute. It’s not a quick process.

Will share more on the Beringer option next week. Thanks.

I am celebrating today 1.5 years of wait time on my finish kit back ordered items. When I saw an email with an invoice from Vans yesterday I thought: Finally!!!

But no...

Still, a few items are back-ordered. especially the wheels... Vans says there are almost 100 kits back ordered with no forecast at all of when they will be fulfilled.

Okay, I understand all the supply chain challenges and stuff but come on. Alternative solutions could have been put in place in a 2-year time frame...

Definitely feeling like Vans take fanatic customers for granted...

Can you update us on the Tailwheel mount assembly (Part Number U FSTW-ASSY W/MOUNT) for the -7 -8 -9?

Thanks!

Tail wheel mounts

I ordered my tail wheel mount assembly in August 2022. The lead time for RV-7 fuselages is now 3 - 5 months. Does Vans have an update on when that assembly will be available?

Thanks

Scott

I ordered my tail wheel mount assembly in August 2022. The lead time for RV-7 fuselages is now 3 - 5 months. Does Vans have an update on when that assembly will be available?

Thanks

Scott

I don’t think any fuselage kits are shipping with the back ordered tailwheel items. I got my RV-8 fuse kit in January and the tailwheel assembly was not included.

UPDATE:

My back ordered tailwheel items are ready to ship.

Last edited:
We take no one for granted, and know we have people in relatively new positions here who are dedicated to chasing supply chain, back orders, and other issues. Things have improved, but the supply chain isn’t perfect. Between materials shortages, third party vendor manufacturing and staffing problems, and a variety of other issues there are still opportunities for improvement across the industry.

For RV-10 and RV-14 kit builders we will have final info on Beringer wheels and Brakes as an upgrade option next week. That’s been an aftermarket option available for a few years, but we will be offering them though Van’s as well. Finding and onboarding alternative suppliers and parts means kit changes, which requires evaluation and testing before we can make a decision to distribute. It’s not a quick process.

Will share more on the Beringer option next week. Thanks.

@greghughespdx

Any update on the Beringer package for the RV14?

Estimating Delivery Date

I hesitate to post this, knowing all that is going on with Vans but I got an email on July 19 saying my Emp/Tail Cone kit was ready to crate and to send the final payment. I did so and received a confirmation email on July 21 that payment was received.

My question is how long is the normal wait from final payment to shipment? I realized this is affected by the LCP issue and also Oshhosh. Just looking for a ball park time frame for planning. Emails to Vans have not been returned.

I hesitate to post this, knowing all that is going on with Vans but I got an email on July 19 saying my Emp/Tail Cone kit was ready to crate and to send the final payment. I did so and received a confirmation email on July 21 that payment was received.

My question is how long is the normal wait from final payment to shipment? I realized this is affected by the LCP issue and also Oshhosh. Just looking for a ball park time frame for planning. Emails to Vans have not been returned.

I'm in a similar situation. My RV-14 tail kit estimated crate date range ended last week. I emailed [email protected] and got a quick reply, which basically said it should ship around the end of the month. So based on that they might be about 3 weeks behind their estimate, but your mileage may vary.

They also said the only laser cut parts I'll be getting are ones that were historically laser cut.

I received a request for final payment of my RV-14A emp/tailcone subkit on 07/19/23. It shipped yesterday (08/08/23). Not surprisingly, almost 3 dozen parts are on backorder, many (most?) being on the laser-cut list.

I received a request for final payment of my RV-14A emp/tailcone subkit on 07/19/23. It shipped yesterday (08/08/23). Not surprisingly, almost 3 dozen parts are on backorder, many (most?) being on the laser-cut list.

That's news to me - that they ship incomplete kits. Presumably there will be enough there that you can get some work done.

After I made my post today I received an email from Vans that mine would be shipping at the end of the month.

That's news to me - that they ship incomplete kits.

I picked up my -14 wing kit at the end of May. It was incomplete as there were a number of items on backorder. I received most of them a couple weeks ago. Of course, there are dozens of laser cut parts in the kit that will need to be replaced.

I made the final payment on my fuselage kit on 7/19/23. I sure hope there aren't any backordered parts from the laser cut parts list in that kit or my wait will just drag on.

Presumably there will be enough there that you can get some work done.

There are parts missing from all of the emp/tailcone subcomponents, so I won't be able to finish anything right out of the gate. However, the 250 lbs of stuff that was shipped, will keep me busy for awhile, I'm sure!

3 months passed since my original post. Back then, I was number 30 on the wait list for the RV-14 main wheels.

Now I am number 29.

I am sure Vans is investing a lot and trying to do things better. But 2 years for a pair of wheel hubs is not a sign that alternative solutions are being worked out. This is just waiting time due to vendors' backlog.

Hi @greghughespdx,

Could you please provide an update on the supply chain problem related to the Whee Hubs for RV-14?

As for the latest forecast, I will not receive my wheel hubs before 2 years after I placed the order.

I would like to know what is happening with this vendor/partner and what actions Vans took to address the problem.

Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

Kit status page is down.... any info?

I was waiting for a crating notification "any day now" and the site just went dark. Any one know when it should be back up?

Nov 23

down until the middle of the month per announcement on their website. dr

Last edited by a moderator:
Same question for the -14 FWF kit Exhaust System (IO-390-EXP 119).

Hi @greghughespdx,

Could you please provide an update on the supply chain problem related to the Whee Hubs for RV-14?

As for the latest forecast, I will not receive my wheel hubs before 2 years after I placed the order.

I would like to know what is happening with this vendor/partner and what actions Vans took to address the problem.

Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

Back