What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mini Cracks in Slider Canopy Corners

Dan 57

Well Known Member
I've had my -6 (-6.9 really, since it sports a -8 tail, -7 engine mount, landing gear and cowling...) for 3 years now. First flight was in 2005.

I noticed these very small cracks when I bought the aircraft, and they haven't progressed since. Still, I'm not really happy with those, afraid they could develop into full cracks...
They are around the last rear screw on both sides of the canopy only, and the longest crack is about 6mm.

Anyone with the same "problem"?
Have you done something about it?
What can be done?
Shall I stop drill the longest ones?

Thanks for any tips :)

Attachments

• IMG_2874.jpg
    IMG_2874.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2870.jpg
    IMG_2870.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 121
Is there a way you can just remove those two screws? Shoot some epoxy in there in place of the screws. If they are not cracks and are instead some sort of stress risers, maybe you can arrest that with some epoxy or some sort of plexiglass glue. It seems to be emanating from the screw.
If you are going to stop drill, you should probably do all of them. Then maybe you can fill the stop drilled holes with the plexi glue/filler.

Thanks Scott, some very good points.

I’ll first try removing the screw on both sides like you suggest. They seem to be the reason for the cracks in the first place…

Back