What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument Panel Width

Pounder

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hello fellow avnuts..

I am out of commission, horrible darn head cold, nowhere near my hanger.

But panel planning- obsessing actually. I have been ordered by my bride to turn loose the greens and build a good IFR panel. What a gal.

All personal conversation aside,

Can anyone tell me a rough, usable width of our panel? not worried about height or depth, yet.

Downloads from vans are not compatible with my frikin Mac...

Though I know there's a drawing out there somewhere, I am momentarily stumped.

Thanks..

hangarflying.com

It's a panel planner website. It has electronic versions of most common panel blanks including the RV series. You can just click and drag everything from switches & breakers to Garmin or Dynon screens and see if it will fit and if the layout makes sense.

I did about 6 different versions while I was planning my panel and it was very helpful. It has no way to account for substructure behind the panel so that's something to watch out for, but it's pretty accurate.

hangarflying.com

It's a panel planner website. It has electronic versions of most common panel blanks including the RV series. You can just click and drag everything from switches & breakers to Garmin or Dynon screens and see if it will fit and if the layout makes sense.

I did about 6 different versions while I was planning my panel and it was very helpful. It has no way to account for substructure behind the panel so that's something to watch out for, but it's pretty accurate.

Thanks Terry. I am in fact using hangerdlying.com and its been real helpful. But I have a particular layout consideration that will be pushing the limits on the width so I need to do some real measuring.

The center panel is 24" and when I measure I get about 32" total width. When I scale up from the panel planner mentioned using the vertical distance of 12" the total width comes out to 33-1/8"

Panel

Hi Bryan

Internal width to clear side mounting is 22.5 inches
Also beware of the Z cross brace that restricts the positioning of some deep avionics.

Have a look at upnorthaviation.com they have some excellent panel files available.

Being old school I lofted out the internal available space to clear the mounting support on the sides and top when I was planning my panel. I had a look but cannot find my lofting dimension notes.

Suggest files from upnorthaviation.com

Rob

Thanks Gents

I snuck out to the hanger yesterday, came up with 22" + some wiggle room, without actually seeing to back.

Upnorthaviation was the first place I visited but only found the depth measurements readily available.

All is well. My plan can proceed. Just gotta write some checks...

If it's REALLY important...

If you are trying to squeeze in a lot of instruments across the width of the panel, and it's really important to you, consider the Showplanes Fastback option. That narrower central section of the standard RV8 instrument panel is the widest section that can be removed within the limits of the canopy bow on the standard RV8 canopy.

Using the Showplanes FB option, my instrument panel is completely removable, no permanently installed side parts. I have about 27" visible and removable instrument panel. The panel itself is wider, but the edges are obscured and you get into the attachments behind.

Back