What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric aileron trim

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
The kit I bought had the electric aileron trim which I installed today.

I’m wondering if it’s worth a flip.

Control system not installed yet but will be soon.

Attachments

• 1DB91D43-A49A-4A08-A3D9-5CCE336A4049.jpg
    1DB91D43-A49A-4A08-A3D9-5CCE336A4049.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
I have it in my current 8, but not sure if I will put it in the new one.
I would rather spend the weight (and $) on an autopilot servo.
I know that the G3X AP torque can overcome a heavy wing, because I had the AP trim servo setting backwards! It was trimming full the wrong way and didn't kick out, LOL. Sure surprised me when I disconnected though!

I’ve had the electric roll trim on at least three RV’s, and it worked just fine. I think roll trim is pretty important for comfortable cross country cruising. I’ve had manual roll trim also, and that’s what’s on my current RV6. It works equally fine. With the manual trim option, you don’t need an Indicator, or EFIS indication to see where your trim is. Just look at the trim lever. With either, I’m able to trim out any imbalance and fly hands off when hand flying.

Aileron trim is that big fuel valve on the floor! Why fly the plane out of balance with an aileron dragging in the wind to avoid having to manage your fuel? or take the chance of an unexpected malfunction that scares the heebies out of you when the autopilot is disconnected from an out of trim condition?

All is allowed of course .. ... my plane at work has automatic rudder trim in case of an engine failure, but I don't pay for the fuel and it's not an RV ;)

Enjoy!

Any need for trim is forcing an aero surface into the wind. Yes it would be great if these things flew hands off in any conditions but guess what?

Do what you want but I would install it regardless of AP intentions. The newer APs have limited trim authority and will adjust that to null the AP servo required power (within limits). Some OEMs will down play this but duty/duty cycles consume parts life. AP servos aren’t free.

My two cents which I expect some level of disagreement with. Have a good weekend.

I would choose aileron trim over autopilot system any day of the week... and manual rather than electric, given the choice.

Back