What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Concrete dust on my parts!

dmuro2

Howdy y'all! Long story short, I'm having some yard work done and after breaking up a concrete slab, the dust made it into the garage via a vent and put a good size layer of concrete dust on everything including finished pieces (VS, HS, Rudder), and parts to be primed.

Question: Is it corrosive? What's the best strategy for removing it, or should I just leave it for now?

I'm worried about scratching if I'm wiping it off dry with a microfiber, and blowing it off, I imagine, would just lift it only to return.

Also, I left it on a rack, uncovered because I've heard of stories where plastic trapped humidity, as well as blankets, leading to corrosion.

Very open to ideas. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_1988.jpg
    IMG_1988.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I'd say vacuum it off as best you can then wipe with soft damp cloth. I wouldn't rinse it... it could get captured in the seams.
Others may have better ideas.

You could take the parts outside to blow off the worst of the dust and then wipe down. It's a good idea to keep parts dust free otherwise moisture in the air can contribute to corrosion. I cover parts with bed sheets to keep the dust off and this has been effective. The rest of the shop can be vacuumed.

Since the concrete dust is alkaline, you might consider adding a small amount of vinegar, which is acidic, to some water, and washing it off with that. Note that soap is also alkaline, so perhaps you should avoid that in this instance. In any case, rinse with distilled water, wipe dry or at least damp, and then dry.

An alternative would be something like Stewart System's EkoEtch. When I've used EkoEtch, I've done it before priming the parts, so I don't know how it works here. But for that, it's fast and easy.

Anecdote: I sometimes can get itchy from my laundry. Guess I'm allergic to some laundry soaps. I now put a small amount of vinegar in the softener compartment, which is used after the soap compartment, and most of that has gone away.

Dave

Vacuum

I prefer a big vacuum. Blowing works but particles can still end up back on the surface. Static cling.
A big vacuum will remove most of the particulates.
Then wipe with clean water changing the water often.
Chems are your choice.

Might even hit it with phosphoric etch (the paint prep stuff) after you've dusted it well. That would neutralize any particles.

But honestly, I think blowing it off, then wiping it down, then maybe repeating the process would be adequate.

YES concrete dust is corrosive.

Agree with above vacuum, then clean with distilled water dampened. I have dealt with water and it all contains dissolved solids - NO tap water for sure.

Sorry, but it all needs to come out.

You’re at home…. with water, and a hose. I would definitely spray it off with a hose. If it’s not completely cleaned after that, get your bucket of water with car wash in it and a soft sponge and wash it again with plenty of water and soap. Then rinse again. This is much less abrasive than a bristled shop vac sucking up cement dust. No big deal how you do it really, but you need to clean it off.

Looking to understand the OP's aversion to dry-wiping as much off as he can, as quickly as possible.

Unless this will be a polished aircraft, there is a day coming when it will be hit all over with a random orbital sander prior/Scotchbrite to priming, no?

You’re at home…. with water, and a hose. I would definitely spray it off with a hose. If it’s not completely cleaned after that, get your bucket of water with car wash in it and a soft sponge and wash it again with plenty of water and soap. Then rinse again. This is much less abrasive than a bristled shop vac sucking up cement dust. No big deal how you do it really, but you need to clean it off.

Many car washes contain silicone as a gloss enhancer which can create headaches when you get ready to paint. Dish detergent is probably a better choice.

We park and fly our planes in rain all the time. I don’t get the aversion to using soap and water to wash that nasty cement dust off. Original Dawn dish soap is a good choice. A vacuums is never going to get the cement dust off 100% by itself.

Back