What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-14a cht temps

Blake

Well Known Member
I am about 15 hrs in phase 1 flying in western Washington. And I have the first generation io-390 with the single exhaust through the tunnel. I am seeing low 300 cht and one cht at the low 290’s. Curious on what other rv-14 owners are seeing in the first few hours of running to compare to. Thanks Blake

It would help to know how you run the engine. For example are you full rich all the time? What power setting? High or low altitude? OAT and oil temp?

Carl

In between 2450 to 2500 squared or 75-80 percent rop. Not leaned and outside temperature has been in the low 30’s lately. And around 3,000 ft roughly

In between 2450 to 2500 squared or 75-80 percent rop. Not leaned and outside temperature has been in the low 30’s lately. And around 3,000 ft roughly
Sounds like temps are as expected. Is there a reason why you don’t lean?

Carl

ROP

Knowing EGT's and, maybe more important fuel flow would also help. EGT temp can be a little problematic depending on exact probe location. I can make my early model 390 vary from 300 to 350 CHT depending on EGT temps and fuel flow. ROP settings can be a fairly wide range.

15 gph

Egts are running around the low to mid 1200’s to 1300. And about 15 gph in cruise

At these flow rates seems running on the rich side and CHT’s look pretty normal. I can get very similar CHT’s at 3,500 ft and when I lean it to 1350 EGT’s get 11 GPH at ~ 345 F CHT on average. Similar TAS. This is not LOP, that produces even lower CHT’s, 25% less fuel and 10% less TAS.

These are the same temps I get on my RV14A with 210 hours. From what I understand the IO-390's run cool. Here is a snap from my G3X in cruise (on an admittedly cool day) showing my CHT in the lower left corner.

Attachments

• Cruise.jpg
    Cruise.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 81
Egts are running around the low to mid 1200’s to 1300. And about 15 gph in cruise

EGT numbers are for the most part meaningless since it varies from one plane to another. But 15GPH for cruise is on the high side which indicate perhaps too rich. But as others have said, the 390 CHTs run on the cooler side and those numbers are pretty normal for this time of the year.

Running my 360 at high power 75% or so, full rich and with OAT's around 30F i see very similar CHT's.

Back