What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best places to search for used lycomings?

dave_091

Hi guys,

Do you have any suggested places that I could use to find a mid-time used lycoming?

Cheers!

Trade-A-Plane would be my first go to. Barnstormers is another aviation classifieds. These VAF Forum Classifieds also a good place (post want to buy and scan it daily for people selling engines). Keep in mind have the money and be ready to buy if it's a good deal.

All the big salvage yards, for example Wentworth is one of dozens that sell used engines. Most advertise in Trade-A-Plane. Google search also a must do.

eBay has quite a bit of aviation parts, including engines to flying aircraft of all kinds.

Hate to say it but look for big storms, hurricanes, tornados that rip through airports. These planes get parted out and show up a month or two later. A flying plane that was just flipped may be a good engine as is.

Back when I built my first RV used was the GO TO for most builders. Now many buy new since there are so many choices (Lyc, Titan, Superior, ECI...). There is something to be said for new, and it adds to resale value, not that you are thinking resale at this point. However total cost of ownership the new engine has some value.

Don't pay too much. You ideally want a running engine that has good records so you can just bolt it up and go fly. A good scenario is n RV'er upgrading to new engine and selling their existing running engine, baffles and other accessories may be a bonus. Bigger bonus is seeing it run and doing compression test etc.

If the engine is a "core", no records a teardown is in order (and don't pay too much). Don't be afraid of teardown. You can do the work yourself. Get an A&P from local airport or EAA chapter to help you out (and loan you a few special tools, knowledge and experience). That is what I did. A local A&P helped me out. I paid him but it was worth it. I paid $2,500 for an O360A1A and tore it down and had major components inspected. I had about $10,000 total into it not including electronic ignition, prop gov, alternator and Carb overhaul.

If it is a prop strike, send crank, rods, case sent off for inspection. Depending on where you live there are large overhaul companies that will do the inspections. Avoid shipping if possible. Again don't pay too much.

I can't emphasis enough difference between CORE vs RUNNING engine. Core pay as little as possible. If it is "running" in great shape it better have the documents (detailed complete log books) and bonafides (compression test as well) to back that up, If it's been sitting for decades it is a core. If you want a "running" mid time engine with good records then hold to that standard. However you will pay for it, but then again you might be saving $10K or much more over new.

You have the option of just sending it off, having it overhauled A-Z, "zero time", turn key but that will approach the price of just buying a new engine. The advantage is we are EAB aircraft and don't need to gold plate it with yellow tags. However when safety is concerned don't cut corners.

If your tear down inspection does not find damage or needing expensive parts, you can get a great engine for half new. Plan on $10,000 to $15,000 for a used engine (including tear down if required). You will have peace of mind as well.

Beat the used Lyc engine bush daily and happy hunting. Used is a smart way to go, but buyer beware.

PS Aviation auctions by insurance companies is another option. You can buy the WHOLE plane (totaled) for the engine and sell off all the other bits and pieces, avionics or what ever. Again prop strike plan on $10,000 or more for teardown and inspections. However I see asking price for wrecked planes are often too high. On the other hand if you have the time and patience to sell off the parts you might do very well, if there is a market for the parts and they are valuable. You would probably do better buying a certified plane. For example a Salvaged Piper Twin Aztec has two (I)O540 lycs. A Mooney has a nice 180 to 200 HP (I)O360.

Last edited:
Trade-A-Plane would be my first go to. Barnstormers is another aviation classifieds. These VAF Forum Classifieds also a good place (post want to buy and scan it daily for people selling engines). Keep in mind have the money and be ready to buy if it's a good deal.

All the big salvage yards, for example Wentworth is one of dozens that sell used engines. Most advertise in Trade-A-Plane. Google search also a must do.

eBay has quite a bit of aviation parts, including engines to flying aircraft of all kinds.

Hate to say it but look for big storms, hurricanes, tornados that rip through airports. These planes get parted out and show up a month or two later. A flying plane that was just flipped may be a good engine as is.

Back when I built my first RV used was the GO TO for most builders. Now many buy new since there are so many choices (Lyc, Titan, Superior, ECI...). There is something to be said for new, and it adds to resale value, not that you are thinking resale at this point. However total cost of ownership the new engine has some value.

Don't pay too much. You ideally want a running engine that has good records so you can just bolt it up and go fly. A good scenario is n RV'er upgrading to new engine and selling their existing running engine, baffles and other accessories may be a bonus. Bigger bonus is seeing it run and doing compression test etc.

If the engine is a "core", no records a teardown is in order (and don't pay too much). Don't be afraid of teardown. You can do the work yourself. Get an A&P from local airport or EAA chapter to help you out (and loan you a few special tools, knowledge and experience). That is what I did. A local A&P helped me out. I paid him but it was worth it. I paid $2,500 for an O360A1A and tore it down and had major components inspected. I had about $10,000 total into it not including electronic ignition, prop gov, alternator and Carb overhaul.

If it is a prop strike, send crank, rods, case sent off for inspection. Depending on where you live there are large overhaul companies that will do the inspections. Avoid shipping if possible. Again don't pay too much.

I can't emphasis enough difference between CORE vs RUNNING engine. Core pay as little as possible. If it is "running" in great shape it better have the documents (detailed complete log books) and bonafides (compression test as well) to back that up, If it's been sitting for decades it is a core. If you want a "running" mid time engine with good records then hold to that standard. However you will pay for it, but then again you might be saving $10K or much more over new.

You have the option of just sending it off, having it overhauled A-Z, "zero time", turn key but that will approach the price of just buying a new engine. The advantage is we are EAB aircraft and don't need to gold plate it with yellow tags. However when safety is concerned don't cut corners.

If your tear down inspection does not find damage or needing expensive parts, you can get a great engine for half new. Plan on $10,000 to $15,000 for a used engine (including tear down if required). You will have peace of mind as well.

Beat the used Lyc engine bush daily and happy hunting. Used is a smart way to go, but buyer beware.

PS Aviation auctions by insurance companies is another option. You can buy the WHOLE plane (totaled) for the engine and sell off all the other bits and pieces, avionics or what ever. Again prop strike plan on $10,000 or more for teardown and inspections. However I see asking price for wrecked planes are often too high. On the other hand if you have the time and patience to sell off the parts you might do very well, if there is a market for the parts and they are valuable. You would probably do better buying a certified plane. For example a Salvaged Piper Twin Aztec has two (I)O540 lycs. A Mooney has a nice 180 to 200 HP (I)O360.

I'm raising a dead thread here but I wanted to thank GMCJetPilot for his very well-thought out response. I'm having a dang stroke looking at 540's these days going for $70K!?

If anybody's got any more advice, I'd love to hear it. Thanks again!

It’s a tough pill to swallow for sure. I too was looking for a used IO540 up until the last big price increase. All my research revealed going the used route would end up in the 40-50k range when it was all said and done. Opted to buy factory new Thunderbolt. At the end of the day, it’s only money and more comes in two weeks so, what the heck!? It’ll be nice to have a brand new and truly zero time motor.

GMC has good advice on used/cores. I know J B Aircraft in Sebring, FL usually builds up a 540 for Sun n Fun. He has a good reputation.

I recently had a cam failure and overhauled my O-540 for ~11K in parts. I was told that the core was worth maybe 10K before I overhauled it since it was making metal. I saved at least $15K doing the overhaul myself, I am not an engine mechanic but had a lot of good advice and some supervision.

GMC has good advice on used/cores. I know J B Aircraft in Sebring, FL usually builds up a 540 for Sun n Fun. He has a good reputation.

I recently had a cam failure and overhauled my O-540 for ~11K in parts. I was told that the core was worth maybe 10K before I overhauled it since it was making metal. I saved at least $15K doing the overhaul myself, I am not an engine mechanic but had a lot of good advice and some supervision.

jimmy alwas has a good line on cores and builds a great engine. he built my last engine a couple a years ago. buy the way, anybody looking for a 320 there is a salvage company in jacksonville that just got mine. 40hrs on a JB engine with a mild prop bend when it went upside down in ian.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Back