What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint brands? Doing it yourself

sjhurlbut

Well Known Member
Looking for paint brands and personal recommendations from builders who have painted the airplane themselves.

Let the next adventure begin :) Maybe next winter.

Looking for paint brands and personal recommendations from builders who have painted the airplane themselves.

Let the next adventure begin :) Maybe next winter.

I've used multiple Dupont (now Axalta) products, Kirker, PPG and a couple of others. Honestly, I saw little difference on the application end or in the immediate results. Some of it hasn't been "down" long enough to see how it holds up.

The most convenient thing to do is pick a system that is supported by a local paint supply shop, set up an account there to get the better prices (vs a walk-in customer) then buy your paint and get your technical support there.

Kirker

Kirker, Eastwood or Summit. All made by Kirker.
This is Kirker EnduroPrime with UltraGlo single stage urethane. Not a whole airplane. Cowl, pants, fairings and canopy trim.
20221028_160215.jpg

I used SPI (Southern Polyurethanes Inc) Epoxy Primer, PPG DBC base coat and SPI Universal Clear.
Very happy with the results.
SPI has a user forum where you can ask questions, similar to this forum, and have many willing to help.

PPG

I used PPG single stage epoxy auto paint and followed DanH's painting guide that is a sticky on this site. Still looks good after 14+ years. The PPG guides are very good and the ability to adjust the flash off point based on ambient temperature was very useful when painting in the hangar.
Not as good a paint job as the professionals but good enough for me.

As mentioned get friendly with the local paint supply shop as they are worth their weight in gold for advice etc.

I stuck with just single stage with no clearcoat and cut and buffed for the finish, this lets me touch up nicks etc. with an aerosol (about $40) and recut and buff the finish.

Not sure why the photo is rotated.
Figs

Attachments

• IMG_4183.jpg
    IMG_4183.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Very happy with southern polyurethanes. Epoxy primer and clear coat are some of the best out there and designed for at home spraying without a booth. Only a few base coat colors, so will need to go elsewhere to get your base.

I used the single stage paint and 2part epoxy primer from Eastwood and summit racing. Most of the painting supplies were also purchased from the same two vendors

I use PPG Concept for mixed colors and Summit Racing PolyUrethane for basic colors. If you can live with the 80 or so colors of Summit, it's a great bargain. I've heard it's made by Kirker but it lays down like Concept for a fraction of the price.

Tamco

You may also take a look at Tamcopaint.com

Supposedly identical to PPG Concept, except 1/2 the price. I used it when I repainted a stab. Worked very well.

Laird

Paint

Its not just about the paint.
Gun and technique also matter.
I love my Harbor Fright Black Widow HTE.
Maybe there's a little technique too!
:D

Back