What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Bose Aviation headset

- Poindexter -

Well Known Member
Looking forward to the March 28 unveiling of the new or improved Bose aviation headset. We'll see what they come up with.

Well that's perfect timing - it should generate a slew of used but working "lesser" headsets for sale on the market, and I need two for the backseat of the 172.

I just bought an A20 for my day job. I haven't even flown a trip with it yet.

I joked the other day that now that I've ordered a 10+ year old model, Bose will come out with something new.

Guess I was right.

AVWEB review https://youtu.be/wHJuxDJRB58 I have four A20s. I'll upgrade at least two and maybe all four depending on what they offer in their upgrade/turn-in program. I'll definitely be checking them out this week at S'nF.

Last edited:
AVWEB review https://youtu.be/wHJuxDJRB58 I have four A20s. I'll upgrade at least two and maybe all four depending on what they offer in their upgrade/turn-in program. I'll definitely be checking them out this week at S'nF.

Some nice evolutionary tweaks certainly, but for many of us in GA, nothing revolutionary and there don't appear to be any compelling reasons to take the upgrade hit and put our A20's in the classifieds. The real beneficiaries are going the be new pilots who might be looking for a good quality ANR headset and can now avail themselves of all the used A20s (along with the flock of Zulu 3's) that will soon be out there.

Some nice evolutionary tweaks certainly, but for many of us in GA, nothing revolutionary and there don't appear to be any compelling reasons to take the upgrade hit and put our A20's in the classifieds. The real beneficiaries are going the be new pilots who might be looking for a good quality ANR headset and can now avail themselves of all the used A20s (along with the flock of Zulu 3's) that will soon be out there.

For me, 2 of my A20s are getting a bit long in the tooth and while they still work just fine if the trade in program is descent, I see this as the time to upgrade vs later. YMMV....

Ho-Hum

Much ado about a "new" headset that features a (modest) price increase and a few more settings...

-Marc

For me, 2 of my A20s are getting a bit long in the tooth and while they still work just fine if the trade in program is descent, I see this as the time to upgrade vs later. YMMV....

In that circumstance I'd certainly be looking hard at the trade-in program too (when they open it up in the next few months), but my A20's are both only about 5 years old and work great.

I'm a Bose fan, but it doesn't appear that the difference between the A20 and the A30 is anywhere near the difference between a Zulu 3 and Delta Zulu, and looking at the relative pricing (A30 vs DZ) and more advance features of the Delta Zulu over the A30, I'd have to think hard about which headset I would upgrade to if that was my plan.

IMO it's not a huge change--evolutionary vs revolutionary. Some ergonomic changes, easier to swap the boom mic (I like that feature), better battery life (really like that), and the switchable ANR (don't give a **** about that). It's also an all-digital design with built-in capability for future expansion -- not sure what expansion there might be but anything that increases the longevity of the headset would be a bonus. As I have 12-year old gen 1 A20s that aren't music bluetooth capable, this is an opportunity to get that feature if the trade-in program is worthwhile. If I had later gen A20s that were still working fine, nothing in the A30 specs alone would compel me to upgrade.

IMO it's not a huge change--evolutionary vs revolutionary. Some ergonomic changes, easier to swap the boom mic (I like that feature), better battery life (really like that), and the switchable ANR (don't give a **** about that). It's also an all-digital design with built-in capability for future expansion -- not sure what expansion there might be but anything that increases the longevity of the headset would be a bonus. As I have 12-year old gen 1 A20s that aren't music bluetooth capable, this is an opportunity to get that feature if the trade-in program is worthwhile. If I had later gen A20s that were still working fine, nothing in the A30 specs alone would compel me to upgrade.

Yeah, I agree. My A20's do have bluetooth. I don't care about music but I do like the ability to make and receive telephone calls.

If it was me and my A20s needed replacing, my consideration would be the overall cost-accounting of selling my A20's in the classifieds and buying a couple Delta Zulus vs selling the A20's and buying A30s, or going for the upgrade trade-in.

IMO it's not a huge change--evolutionary vs revolutionary. Some ergonomic changes, easier to swap the boom mic (I like that feature), better battery life (really like that),

How often do you swap the boom mic? I have only done it once to put the cord on the right side of my front seat passenger, which made it on the same side as my lemo plug. Better battery is a possible bonus if you don't have lemo plugs, but I won't race to replace my A-20s.

One review I read said that the A-30 had "a lot of plastic components". OK, that's kinda the way manufacturing is leaning these days. The amount of tupperware in my 2021 Rav4 Hybrid is surprising.

-Marc

How often do you swap the boom mic? I have only done it once to put the cord on the right side of my front seat passenger, which made it on the same side as my lemo plug. Better battery is a possible bonus if you don't have lemo plugs, but I won't race to replace my A-20s.

One review I read said that the A-30 had "a lot of plastic components". OK, that's kinda the way manufacturing is leaning these days. The amount of tupperware in my 2021 Rav4 Hybrid is surprising.

-Marc

I don't swap them often, but regardless I like the new toolless system that allows you to swap sides in seconds.

Based on the Bose website (snippet reproduced below), it appears that there is a USB connection in the control module that can be used to provide external power (for those of us that don't have LEMO plugs) except none of the photos show it and the one review I read does not mention it either. That would be a nice feature since having the batteries die at a critical time is not a fun experience! Not to mention, it would lower the cost of ownership!

"Power sources
Headset can be powered from multiple battery chemistry types, including rechargeables. Aircraft-powered units will bypass batteries when aircraft power is applied. USB connection in the control module can also power the headset."

Yeah, I agree. My A20's do have bluetooth. I don't care about music but I do like the ability to make and receive telephone calls.

If it was me and my A20s needed replacing, my consideration would be the overall cost-accounting of selling my A20's in the classifieds and buying a couple Delta Zulus vs selling the A20's and buying A30s, or going for the upgrade trade-in.

My gen 1 A20s have phone Bluetooth which I use on every almost every IFR flight, but don't have music Bluetooth (different protocol) so we have to use patch cords which are a pain. We all listen to music for almost the whole flight so music is big for us. If I had newer A20s that do have music Bluetooth, I'd be less inclined to upgrade, and probably not at all.

A handful of reviews out there today on-line (with the usual caveats that they are at places which have Bose as paying advertisers).

I see discussions of clamping force, weight, multiple modes of NC (only one of which seems to apply to RVs), etc. But...nobody has said anything, that I see, about whether the noise cancellation is any better than the A20. That'd be the only reason I could come up with to replace my BT-enabled A20s. I don't need 3 levels of noise cancellation, or the ability to do a quick swap of the boom mic from side to side, etc. More NC? I might be in.

For now, not enough improvement to justify replacing the 20s.

Review coming

I'm going to get the bluetooth lemo (6-pin) version. Mainly because I have a 5-year old standard, bluetooth A20, before I bought my RV7a, which has lemo plugs. And, my current passenger headset is my original 1987 Dave Clark. Wifey feels like she's getting a neck workout with that one.

I needed one anyway, so timing is right. I'll write up a review with a comparison to my bluetooth, standard plugs, A20. And, it'll be a no-BS review since I did not get a freebie. :rolleyes:

IMHO this "upgrade" will not be for me. Nothing new for us GA pilots.
Might have to look at the LS Zulu again where they let you fine tune it to your hearing. Or loss of it. :)

It's telling that they lead off in the interview talking about the esthetics of the thing, instead of the capabilities. :)

And "future enhancements"? Wow...13 years did he say of noise cancelling headsets, and they couldn't think of any "enhancements" to add to this next generation *now*? LOL!

Ah, well...if they want to rest on their laurels, let 'em. :)

I suspect they've been incrementally upgrading the noise suppression circuitry as time went by since 1989 without labeling it a new model. There's probably a "hardware revision" number somewhere on some hidden label. The A20 you buy today must certainly have different electronics than the one they sold in 1989.

So I tried on a pair at the Bose booth at Sn’F. For me the reduced clamping force was noticeable and overall it “felt” lighter than my A20. I surmise it will be very comfortable in real use. I tried the low ANR mode both using the switch and by tapping the ear cup. It’s interesting but the only time I’d probably use it is if I wanted to listen unimpeded to the engine, like during startup. The dongle is rectangular making it slightly thinner side to side but it’s just as long as the A20’s. It’s thicker though, so it’s kinda a wash. It does come with a rubber strap that goes around it and has a loop on one end so you can hang it out of the way vs letting it flop around. Overall it’s a nice headset and if the trade in is any where like My Pilot Store is saying, then I’ll probably upgrade.

I'm hoping some folks really like the A30, that they like it well enough to offer up their David Clark One-X headsets for sale on the used market.

Yes, I'm looking to increase my fleet size of David Clark One-X headsets. I like 'em. I like 'em a lot!

Based on the Bose website (snippet reproduced below), it appears that there is a USB connection in the control module that can be used to provide external power (for those of us that don't have LEMO plugs) except none of the photos show it and the one review I read does not mention it either. That would be a nice feature since having the batteries die at a critical time is not a fun experience! Not to mention, it would lower the cost of ownership!

"Power sources
Headset can be powered from multiple battery chemistry types, including rechargeables. Aircraft-powered units will bypass batteries when aircraft power is applied. USB connection in the control module can also power the headset."

Yes, there is a USB connector (Micro-USB?) in the control module. But using it for power is not mentioned in the manual.

i-92Mjcz8-L.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, there is a USB connector (Micro-USB?) in the control module. But using it for power is not mentioned in the manual.

i-92Mjcz8-L.jpg

According to the Bose guy I talked to at their pavilion that usb port is only for system access, like firmware upgrades, and isn’t designed to be a power input.

Thanks for the photo! That would definitely be a very odd location for a power source if it requires that the batteries be removed and the cover be left open! Perhaps the website is wrong and the Bose guy is correct in that it is not designed to be a power source....

If anyone buys one and can try it out, it would be great to know!

Last edited:
Well I flew with one today in the RV7. Let’s just say I was not impressed. The A20 cuts more noise. The crisp clarity was nice but the lacking ANR washed it out.

Yeah...I like Paul Bertorelli a lot, but the A30 upgrade is kind of a yawner. A nice "upgrade", but IMHO more of a "A25" than an actual A30. MSRP of $1249.....I'd be looking hard, feature-for-feature, at the Lightspeed Delta Zulu for $1099. I think that the inclusion of CO monitoring in a headset is brilliant.

The biggest feature to me (and what makes it an A30) is system architecture that allows for expansion modules to be plugged in the opposite side from where the boom mic is plugged in.

I **THINK** the connector is reported as having 17 pins. That will allow for a lot to added in the future. So it is what the headset CAN be in the future that creates a lot of its value in my opinion.

The biggest feature to me (and what makes it an A30) is system architecture that allows for expansion modules to be plugged in the opposite side from where the boom mic is plugged in.

I **THINK** the connector is reported as having 17 pins. That will allow for a lot to added in the future. So it is what the headset CAN be in the future that creates a lot of its value in my opinion.

Help me out here with my lack of imagination....what kind of accessories or add-in modules would I want to add to my aviation headset? What additional capabilities could such an expandability feature provide?

Not having the coiled cord option like the A20 is a non-starter for me. While not as big a deal in my RV-8 the coiled cord has the advantages of not getting caught up with seat belts, legs, less propensity of getting stepped on by feet during ingress and egress. The spring coil action shortens up the length when stowed. And the coil cord is made from a thicker more robust cord. All that is nice in the RV. But in an open cockpit, helicopter or bush plane flying with the doors and/or windows open the coiled cord really shines. Straight cords tend to get whipped around and even sucked out of the door or window. Il have had many occasions in my Husky where the straight cord went out the window with the control box flapping against the outside of the fuselage. Especially to an unaware back seater. That never happens with the coil cord. Similar better results with an open door on a Huey where rotor wash enters the picture. I switched over to coiled cords on all my A20's and won't consider the A30 until such time Bose decides to offer a coiled option.

So we went by the Bose pavilion again and asked about the usb port one more time. It can power the headset but it’s not designed as a primary power input. The reason it can power the headset is when doing a firmware update the headset has to be powered on and to access the port you have to remove the batteries hence the port powers the headset for that reason.

Bose A30

I fly with a Bose headset in my RV 3 and am very pleased with them. I have read the comments for the Bose latest offering and am not sure they pass my good flying buddies (G-OBUZ) Scottish test compared with my old set. Photo attached :)

Rob
G-BVDC

Attachments

• Bose Headset.jpg
    Bose Headset.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 172
So we went by the Bose pavilion again and asked about the usb port one more time. It can power the headset but it’s not designed as a primary power input. The reason it can power the headset is when doing a firmware update the headset has to be powered on and to access the port you have to remove the batteries hence the port powers the headset for that reason.

Thanks for the additional info and clarification.

Thanks, Todd! That's definitely a strange design choice. If it can power the headset, it shouldn't have been too difficult to put it in a place where it would be accessible from the outside. Perhaps the reason is that the USB port can provide enough power for the device to be upgraded but not enough for the noise cancellation circuitry.... Regardless, it means that the description on the website appears to be wrong.

Thanks, Todd! That's definitely a strange design choice. If it can power the headset, it shouldn't have been too difficult to put it in a place where it would be accessible from the outside. Perhaps the reason is that the USB port can provide enough power for the device to be upgraded but not enough for the noise cancellation circuitry.... Regardless, it means that the description on the website appears to be wrong.

After talking to the 2nd guy I’m convinced the usb port will power all the features of the headset it’s just the port isn’t designed to do that routinely. For that, Bose expects you to use batteries or a LEMO/XLR plug despite what the website says. IOW using the usb port would be akin to an emergency procedure which is why I think it’s not mentioned in the owners manual. YMMV….

Last edited:
After talking to the 2nd guy I’m convinced the usb port will power all the features of the headset it’s just the port isn’t designed to do that routinely. For that, Bose expects you to use batteries or a LEMO/XLR plug despite what the website says. IOW using the usb port would be akin to an emergency procedure which is why I think it’s not mentioned in the owners manual. YMMV….

If my headset ran out of juice in flight (it has) and I didn't have any spare batteries (I didn't), I'd most likely just press on (I did) and forgo using the secret bluetooth socket.

Last edited:
If my headset ran out of juice in flight (it has) and I didn't have any spare batteries (I didn't), I'd most likely just press on (I did) and forgo using the secret bluetooth socket.

Same here. I carry spares for both headsets, but somehow ended up with two sets of dead (rechargeable) spare batteries. First one headset then the other ran out of juice about halfway back. We soldiered on and made it home without crashing somehow.

Again I nor the Bose rep recommend using that usb port inflight—I’m just reporting what I learned. If I upgrade my A20s to A30s my backup power plan will remain what it is today— I keep an extra set of AA’s in the plane.

bose

Since the seventies I have always been highly suspicious of Bose and their self proclaimed wonderfulness, the 401 speakers were a joke.
I don't trust products that are so heavily advertised.

Since the seventies I have always been highly suspicious of Bose and their self proclaimed wonderfulness, the 401 speakers were a joke.
I don't trust products that are so heavily advertised.

Bose makes a competent product, but historically their true genius has been marketing. IMO, it's the reason they can continue to sell their aviation headphones for $1200 when Lightspeed, for example, sells a comparable product for $900, and an arguably better one than the A30 for $1100.

IMHO, ANR has pretty much reached its peak from an engineering standpoint, and mostly all we have left to distinguish one from the other is features.

Help me out here with my lack of imagination....what kind of accessories or add-in modules would I want to add to my aviation headset? What additional capabilities could such an expandability feature provide?

If one takes a look at the leadership that Lightspeed has taken and added a CO detector that you are always wearing, then that is an easy one to imagine.
(I have **NO FACTS** to this end!!)

Next, one could imagine a "cordless" headset where a transmitter/receiver is plugged into the current sockets and a receiver/transmitter is a module that goes into the headset. The pilot may chose to KEEEP cables but the passengers may want to "comfort" of not having such.

Just two things that come to mind for me.

Bose A30 Headset

Tested the A30 today for a short flight. Currently have A20's about 4 years old and 500 hours. Clamping force seemed to be about the same as my 500 hr A-20. Did feel ok and MAYBE slightly more comfortable. The 3 different levels for noise reduction maybe ok if you want to go from your Citation to a RV with the same headsets but I think with the RV you will want to use the maximum setting. Level 3 MIGHT be a little stronger than the A20's standard setting. Not offering a coiled cord is a deal breaker as I like to run my O2 line through the coil. I'm guessing a coiled cord will be out soon.

I'll be making a few cross countries in the next few weeks and report back.

If one takes a look at the leadership that Lightspeed has taken and added a CO detector that you are always wearing, then that is an easy one to imagine.
(I have **NO FACTS** to this end!!)

Next, one could imagine a "cordless" headset where a transmitter/receiver is plugged into the current sockets and a receiver/transmitter is a module that goes into the headset. The pilot may chose to KEEEP cables but the passengers may want to "comfort" of not having such.

Just two things that come to mind for me.

Both are excellent examples of the only real points of contention....features. I have a couple of A20's and some old H-model David Clarks from decades ago. I wouldn't buy another set of Bose headphones. Today, it would be Delta Zulus.

Last edited:
Bose of old........

Both are excellent examples of the only real points of contention....features. I have a couple of A20's and some old H-model David Clarks from decades ago. I wouldn't buy another set of Bose headphones. Today, it would be Delta Zulus.

I still use a pair of Bose X in the Cub. They have been carved out of granite and have balls of cotton for noise cancelling.....:D:D:D:D:D....speaking of decades ago......

My Back Seater has a pair of Faro's that she got from Santa Claus several years ago that she LOVES! WAY less than Bose (less than half the cost) that do an amazing job!

Aerobatics and A30

I've had the A30 for a couple months now and overall, it's working fine. I only got it since I needed a 2nd headset and wanted the Lemo plug. My passenger uses the A20, which works just fine.

However, I found that the A30 falls off doing loops. Rolls are okay, but no matter how forward I position the headset, it falls off on some loops. The solution was a cloth (or leather) helmet for headsets.
https://gibson-barnes.com/product/h...-headsets/leather-cloth-helmets-for-headsets/

This works quite well. There may be a chin strap that you can use, but this option works well for me.

A30 Coiled Cord Why Not?

I tried the A30 with the only cord (at that time at least) straight and disliked it and returned it. When will they offer this in a coiled cord? They do offer in a "short cord, panel powered" now and not sure what that means?

I have an old Sennheiser 300 ANC that is getting quite tired. The problem for me with the Lightspeed is an iPhone only interface, that has led me to the A30. There is a coiled cord version on the list but I got a straight cord LEMO version with twin plug adapter anticipating LEMO installation during panel re-work over the winter. Let's see how it works...

Back