What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AntiSplat mains bearing preload

I'm anxious to hear the reply as I just had this done. I was under the impression that we just followed Van's instructions when putting the wheel back on. On the RV-14 mains Van's states to,

"Rotate each Main Wheel and Tire Assembly while hand-tightening the corresponding axle nut until there is no side play in the wheel and the wheel rotates with little or no friction."

I'm anxious to hear the reply as I just had this done. I was under the impression that we just followed Van's instructions when putting the wheel back on. On the RV-14 mains Van's states to,

"Rotate each Main Wheel and Tire Assembly while hand-tightening the corresponding axle nut until there is no side play in the wheel and the wheel rotates with little or no friction."

thought he used sealed bearings. These are usually fully tightened, unlike the tapered roller bearings in the kit that are not

Suggest getting alans input, as I believe following the kit instructions is likely incorrect for his bearings.

Call out to Alan. Will post what he says.

Yes, they are sealed bearings like on the nose wheel. We both have been using the nose wheel bearings for years and are very happy with them. This is my first experience with the main bearing mod.

Preliad

They are not tapered bearings so vans instructions for preload will not work. Post what Allan says but it will likely be “snug”…

From the man himself:

Tighten the nut up about as tight as you can get it, by hand (without a wrench!), and back off to the next flat to get the cotter key in.

Sealed and non-tapered, so they have a precision length spacer trapped between the inner races?

Back