What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionic Log Entries

A question regarding logbook entries for experimental built aircraft, RV’s of course.

Is it required to make logbook entries for Avionic installations that show model number and serial number for all panel mounted avionics?

I know it is for certified airplanes and would expect it to be good practice in the experimental world also.

I look forward to your replies.

The short answer is that the only thing required for an Experimental aircraft is a note somewhere that it has been inspected and found in a condition for safe operation in the past year. Nothing else is technically required…which doesn’t mean that noting when you do things isn’t a GREAT idea…… How detailed you make those entries is up to you.

Paul

The short answer is that the only thing required for an Experimental aircraft is a note somewhere that it has been inspected and found in a condition for safe operation in the past year. Nothing else is technically required…which doesn’t mean that noting when you do things isn’t a GREAT idea…… How detailed you make those entries is up to you.
Paul

And maybe transponder and ELT inspections. (If equipped)

I am a picky airplane buyer. Despite the correct answers above, I always ask myself, "What would I like to see entered in the logbook?" More pertinent information usually wins. Plus, looking in the logbook for serial numbers is easier than pulling equipment when advisories, etc., get published.

I Plus, looking in the logbook for serial numbers is easier than pulling equipment when advisories, etc., get published.

Or worse, if avionics get stolen. Without the serial number(s) there's almost no hope of recovery (it's slim enough even with them).

I keep all of my component serial numbers in a spreadsheet on the computer where they are easier to find than leafing through logbooks - but that’s just me…..

And I am NOT advocating not keeping a good aircraft logbook - just saying that if they reason is to keep serial numbers, why not keep them in a separate list rather than in random logbook entries. Or do both.

I keep all of my component serial numbers in a spreadsheet on the computer where they are easier to find than leafing through logbooks - but that’s just me…

Same here, and this spreadsheet is printed out and placed into a 3-ring binder along with a number of other records. There's nothing that says aircraft documentation has to be in some faux-leather-bound book that says "Aircraft Log" or "Avionics Log" on the outside.

E.g., my oil changes are documented by the oil analysis reports, which contain the date, oil type, hours on engine, etc., along with the report data. I keep a file on my computer with the PDFs, and printouts go into a 3-ring binder of maintenance records.

FWIW, I tried to identify everything on the aircraft that has a serial number...it's just under 50 items that I could find, although I may have missed some (and some I can't see, I presume, if they're inside of some assembly like the engine :) ).

We (Canada eh) are required to maintain an Equipment List as part of our Weight & Balance Report.
In this equipment is listed by model, serial#, weight, & arm length from datum.
If equipment is changed, both these documents must be changed to reflect CofG impact.

Back