What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

If you need to transport a non-flying plane by trailer

FireMedic_2009

Well Known Member
I just bought a non-flying plane a few weeks ago and needed it transported from NY to FL. I found a guy who transported it in an enclosed trailer for a good price. He transports throughout the US. He has commercial and cargo insurance. There are people out there who do not have it so if they get into an accident and your cargo gets damaged you are SOL. I first tried uShip and without giving you the long version I will say this, uShip’s protection plan is not PRIMARY insurance, I believe it is supplemental insurance although it’s hard to say exactly because they don’t give you a straight answer. There are haulers on their site that direct you to uShip’s Protection insurance giving you a false sense of cargo protection because the hauler doesn’t have commercial or cargo insurance (which is illegal not to have which also means they most likely don’t have a DOT # either). They will tell you they have regular auto insurance BUT auto insurance ONLY COVERS THEIR VEHICLE AND TRAILER, NOT THE CONTENTS IN THE TRAILER.

When using someone to haul your stuff, you ask them for their DOT #, commercial insurance and cargo insurance (they can’t get cargo insurance without having commercial insurance) and certificate of Liability Ins with you as the named insured as the certificate holder.

The guy I used is David, Dave’s Handyman and Hauling I just bought a non-flying plane a few weeks ago and needed it transported from NY to FL. I found a guy who transported it in an enclosed trailer for a good price. He transports personally throughout the US. He has commercial and cargo insurance. There are people out there who do not have it so if they get into an accident you are SOL. I first tried uShip and without giving you the long version I chill say this, uShip’s protection plan is not PRIMARY insurance, I believe it is supplemental insurance although it’s hard to say exactly because they don’t give you a straight answer. There are haulers on their that direct you to uShip’s insurance giving you a false sense of cargo protection because the hauler doesn’t have commercial or cargo insurance (which is illegal not to have which also means they most likely don’t have a DOT # either). They will tell you they have regular auto insurance BUT auto insurance ONLY COVERS THEIR VEHICLE AND TRAILER, NOT THE CONTENTS IN THE TRAILER.

When using someone to haul your stuff, you ask them for their DOT #, commercial insurance and cargo insurance (they can’t get cargo insurance without commercial insurance) and certificate of Liability Ins with you as the names insured as the certificate holder.

The guy I used is David, Dave’s Handyman and Hauling.
(941) 661-7736
Nice guy and communicates well. I would highly recommend him.

Last edited:
Back