What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question: A&P condition inspection sign off

KiloWhiskey1

Well Known Member
Can anyone point me to the specific FAR that references an A&P’s (without IA) authority to conduct and sign off experimental condition inspections?

I know that the regs. allow this, but I wanted to have the source document.

Can anyone point me to the specific FAR that references an A&P’s (without IA) authority to conduct and sign off experimental condition inspections?I know that the regs. allow this, but I wanted to have the source document.

It's in your operating limitations. IA's primary concern is that the aircraft meets it's type certificate. Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft do not have a type certificate.

Therefor IA is not required.

Last edited:
What do your operating limitations say? They should say something like this:

26. An experimental aircraft builder certificated as a repairman for this aircraft under FAR 65.104 or an appropriately rated FAA-certificated mechanic may perform the condition inspection required by these operating limitations.

Thanks for the reference. I found it in my ops lims. I think I’m getting confused about “appropriately rated FAA certified mechanic”. Is there something that further defines that as meaning an A&P? I assume that it would say IA if one was required.

I’m asking this because this came up on a recent IFR check ride. My DPE is also an IA and he saw in my logs that an A&P did my last annual. I thought for a minute that the check ride wasn’t going to happen. Fortunately, he found a reference on EAA’s website and that satisfied him, but he was still curious about where the FAA regulations allowed for it. I couldn’t have asked for a better DPE, but he was concerned about this one point.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/43.7

Part 43.7 paragraph B is an example that lists a mechanic certification and an inspection authorization as two different items. If you follow the links to part 65 you can read the differences between mechanic cert and inspection authorization.

Mechanic has to follow 65.71 - 65.89. An inspection authority also has to meet the the requirements of 65.91 - 65.95. It's pretty consistent thought the FAR that if an IA signature is required, it's explicitly referenced to as an IA and not just a mechanic.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reference. I found it in my ops lims. I think I’m getting confused about “appropriately rated FAA certified mechanic”. Is there something that further defines that as meaning an A&P? I assume that it would say IA if one was required.

The operating limitation specifically uses the word "mechanic". If it were to require an IA, it would have used the word "inspector" or "inspection authorization".

“appropriately rated FAA certified mechanic”. Is there something that further defines that as meaning an A&P?

The Mechanic Certificate can be issued with either an Airframe Rating, or a Powerplant Rating, or both (hence the A&P designation). Just like a Parachute Riggers Certificate can be issued with a Back, Seat, Chest, and/or Lap Ratings. (There is a lot specified in those five words you quoted.)

Was your IFR Checkride in a Certificated Aircraft or an Experimental?

It was in my RV-10.

I appreciate everyone’s answers. I think I have enough to explain it to the DPE if he has the same concern next time. I’m planning on doing a commercial check ride with him in the future.

Keith - I came across your post in researching the same question - so, this response might be too late to help you but others might be able to use the answer. Check out AC 65-23A Chg 1, paragraph 3(c):

c. When provided by the aircraft operating limitations, exhibition, air racing, and amateur built aircraft may be inspected (condition inspections) by FAA-certificated mechanics holding an airframe and powerplant rating, or appropriately rated repair stations, in accordance with part 43, appendix D.

At least the source is a FAA document.

Back