What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

12 vs 7A entry and exit

The specifics will depend on the nature of the age-related disability...which extremity and which side, right or left. Bad hips or bad knees, I think the 7/9 is easier because you have more options to pull your yourself up with upper body strength IME. In a real pinch (knee or hip post-op), you can put a small folding step down and climb from it to the metal step to the wing. Some attached paracord and you can just pull the step up, fold it, and slide it into the back. I did that for awhile when I was post-op from a tendon repair in my right leg. I haven't fully recovered yet, find it easier to enter my 9A on the right side for the time being. In my particular case I found it very difficult to get into a buddy's RV-12.

Bottom line...age-related entry and exit is a reason to consider a high-wing airplane.

I think you'll need to try for yourself.

One difference between the 12 and the 7 is step location.

12 - Forward of the wing
7 - aft of the wing

So, for a 12, you need to step up onto the wing facing the wrong direction, then turn around (holding what?) and step first foot, second foot, lower yourself to seated.

In a 7 you eliminate the turn around on the wing, but still have to step over onto the seat and lower.

When the 12 first appeared at OSH I watched Van get in by sitting on the leading edge and step up backwards while grasping the cockpit edge. No “turnaround” per se though I do turn to my right a bit to step in and down onto the floor inside. I steady myself using the seat back and canopy frame.

I have back and knee issues. I have only gotten in a 12 a couple times but the much lower side rail made it a lot easier for me than my 9A. I love my plane but it is difficult to get in and out of. The Antisplat bar makes a huge difference. I would consider a Glastar, 15, or Sling high wing if I were building again for ease of entry and exit.

Back