What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Version of AC 90-89

I am glad they left the 1940's and 50's style cartoons to make point in technical manual with humor. My Dad had military airplane manuals for WWII vintage planes. I recall going through them, T6 and a Liaison plane, either a Piper L-4 or Stinson L-5 Sentinel. Don't recall which one. They had silly cartoons with a silly pilot, cautioning not to do as this guy does. Even as a kid I got it... Don't do nut-in stupid.

All I have to say AC 90-89C Charlie is a big dummy. Ha ha. Thanks for update.

Last edited:
This is a big deal...no really, it is.

I'm very happy to see this change get finalized. It's somewhat anti-climatic that this AC was simply released on the FAA's website after all the hoopla a couple years back that it was in the works.

The option to certify completion of Phase 1 based on task-based flight testing is a game changer from my previous Phase 1 events, and what I will do with my upcoming (impending?) Phase 1 testing.

Using a focused task test plan makes so much more sense to me. Hopefully it leads to more comprehensive aircraft testing and not just time-killing. Hey, I know of one fella many years ago, (back before EFIS's were a thing) that just left his battery on while working on the airplane to keep the Hobbs meter rolling; ethics and integrity aside, if the measure is achieving time, that's what people will focus on. Ever heard of someone buying a certified engine and prop combo just to reduce their phase 1 from 40 to 25 hours? Not something I would do, but it's amazing what folks will do to save time.

From the AC, "This AC creates the ability for builders to utilize a comprehensive, individualized task-based flight test plan to meet the objectives of the flight test, but according to certain completion criteria and possibly less than the typical 25 or 40 hours, depending on the complexity of the aircraft."

While task based testing has existed for many decades, the ability to certify that testing is completed based on successful completion of those tests vice achieving a number of hours is a good move and puts focus on what is important - flight testing.

I applaud the FAA (with much support from the EAA) to make this change. Well done folks!

Here's my plug for EAA's flight test manual and test cards . They're well done, comprehensive and yet can be adapted to your specific needs as well.

Last edited:
I am glad they left the 1940's and 50's style cartoons to make point in technical manual with humor. My Dad had military airplane manuals for WWII vintage planes. I recall going through them, T6 and a Liaison plane, either a Piper L-4 or Stinson L-5 Sentinel. Don't recall which one. They had silly cartoons with a silly pilot, cautioning not to do as this guy does. Even as a kid I got it... Don't do nut-in stupid.

All I have to say AC 90-89C Charlie is a big dummy. Ha ha. Thanks for update.

Two of my prize possessions. You need humor in this business. And Yes, I read them, still a lot of valuable lessons in them.

Attachments

• 1943 flight manual.jpg
    1943 flight manual.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 69
Timely release from the FAA for me. I am working on my Program Letter for an AW Inspection with Mel as my DAR. Hopefully he is amenable to this change! Mel???

I hope he responds to this so we get his take. There is some current discussion about this on other forums -

until Order 8130.2 and the AWC have been updated you will get the limitations in 8130.2. Keep in mind that this AC was written and issued by AFS-300 which is part of Flight Standards. Order 8130.2 is written by AIR-100, which is part of Aircraft Certification Services. These are two different sections of the FAA and they don't always talk to one another.

I'd like to hear other DAR thoughts on this.

I hope he responds to this so we get his take. There is some current discussion about this on other forums -
until Order 8130.2 and the AWC have been updated you will get the limitations in 8130.2. Keep in mind that this AC was written and issued by AFS-300 which is part of Flight Standards. Order 8130.2 is written by AIR-100, which is part of Aircraft Certification Services. These are two different sections of the FAA and they don't always talk to one another.
I'd like to hear other DAR thoughts on this.

This is obviously a step forward. However, as already stated, AIR-100 has not yet issued a new version of the operating limitations. The Op Lims are pretty much "canned" and we are not allowed to make this kind of change.

I have word from a pretty reliable FAA source that the update to the OP’s Lims guidance is in the signature cycle at headquarters, so if your inspection is next week, you’re out of luck (I have one week after next, and I doubt it’ll be signed by then….), but in a few months the option should be available. You can always get Ops Lims amended!

Back