- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:36 PM

Default Flap Switch Location

Mine is on the panel to the right and above the engine controls because thatís where it is on most of the other planes I fly.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer
Old 06-27-2022, 09:48 PM

RV-6, second iteration on the panel - the first was standard 6-pack so I rearranged things some including flap switch when I went to a new panel with glass.

From that experience, I chose above / slightly left of the throttle for the flap switch, and for me it's perfect as I can operate it with my thumb while my hand is on the throttle.

As an aside, I always liked manual flaps in Cessnas, and might have done that in my -6. But while I was building I was fortunate enough to get 50 or so hrs in a manual flaps RV-6 and that convinced me that in SBS RVs, the geometry of the manual flap handle is far less than ideal. So that's why I chose electric flaps in the -6. Dunno if manual flaps are even an option in the newer models? But in case so, food for thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n6r_flap_switch.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	27566  
Airport committee chair & AOPA ASNV for Seaside, OR Municipal (56S), www.seasideairport.org
Last Donated January 2022
Old 06-28-2022, 05:36 PM

In my RV-14, I put a flaps switch on the panel just above the Steinair throttle bracket. With over 100 hours flying with it, I like it there and wouldn't move it.

Side note for the over-thinkers: I put some effort into designing an "alternate flaps" system that would let me raise and lower the flaps in the even the VP-X Pro fails. I ended up not doing the alternate flaps because no-flaps landings are a non-event in the RV-14. I did put in alternate trim that allows me to send power from the IBBS backup battery directly to the pitch trim.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:47 PM

In the same general location as a Cessna. That's a muscle memory I don't see a need to unlearn.
Fuselage in process
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 06-28-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdecker View Post
Not a -14, but in both of my -7's I placed it just above and to the left of the throttle.

I'm just not a fan of "extra" functions on the stick...
My 6A, Exactly the same.

There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact. óMARK TWAIN
Old 06-28-2022, 10:59 PM

For the Garmin G3x system with a GAD27 you can have two sets of flap switch inputs. I have a panel switch just to the left of the throttle as many others. I also have a flap switch on the pilot stick. I haven't flown with a flap switch on the stick before so I thought this is is a good starting point. If at some point in the future I get used to or decide I like the stick flap switch then I can use that as the primary. I think the flap switch next to the throttle is pretty convenient though so we'll see how it goes.
Sensenich Composite 3 Blade Propeller
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 06-29-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdecker View Post
Not a -14, but in both of my -7's I placed it just above and to the left of the throttle.

I'm just not a fan of "extra" functions on the stick...
I have both ... one the stick and one the panel just above and left of the throttle.

I only use the one on the panel. It's very convenient for all operations, especially fast reconfigurations on touch and gos. I'd be happy to dump the flap switch from the grip and never look back.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:28 PM

I don’t use flaps that often but it’s my preference to put the flaps down with the switch I have on the panel. However, I do think it would be nice to be able to command full flap retraction from a button on the stick.

Currently my flap switch is a momentary rocker switch so I have to continually hold it for flaps up or down in the circumstances where I might be using flaps. I don’t mind that for adding flaps but it would be nice on a go-around or touch-and-go to not have to hold the switch continuously to retract them. I’ve had my eye on the flap positioning system from Showplanes, but they tell me I have to use their switch, and I don’t care for it. I’d buy it if I could use my existing switch, or something not quite so….functional…in appearance. This stuff is on my list of things to investigate but I haven’t got that far down that list yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F979E16F-AEAE-4ADC-A80A-57678E3BC854.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	27604  
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 06-29-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:29 PM

Iíve got my flap switch on the panel above the throttle. Itís a gigantic flap shaped switch, so itís easy to access without looking. Iím not a fan of the HOTAS flap functionsÖ

With a center console throttle it would be easy to put a toggle just to the side or behind the throttle control, thatís where the flap were in the jets I flew with console mounted throttles.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6n6r View Post
As an aside, I always liked manual flaps in Cessnas, and might have done that in my -6. But while I was building I was fortunate enough to get 50 or so hrs in a manual flaps RV-6 and that convinced me that in SBS RVs, the geometry of the manual flap handle is far less than ideal. So that's why I chose electric flaps in the -6. Dunno if manual flaps are even an option in the newer models? But in case so, food for thought.
I donít find the geometry to be a problem, and I like the simplicity and fail safe aspect of manual flaps. I can dump the flaps in the blink of an eye on a gusty landing, and Ďglueí the airplane to the runway. I can extend or retract the flaps on preflight, or during maintenance without powering anything up electrically. Iím a fan of manual flaps.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022