What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are All Pitot Tubes Equal?

MJarreau

Well Known Member
We are definitely looking at heated, AOA/Pitot combination. They are available from several manufacturers. Do they interface the same way to the various avionics manfuacturers? We're not even close to looking at avionics.....

TIA!
Mike

One of the better standalone systems uses about a ⅛ inch hole drilled on the top and bottom of the wing.

We are definitely looking at heated, AOA/Pitot combination. They are available from several manufacturers. Do they interface the same way to the various avionics manfuacturers? We're not even close to looking at avionics.....

TIA!
Mike

I am using the Dynon Skyview so I installed the Dynon AOA/Pitot tube since the AOA inlet bevel angle at the tip matches to the Dynon AOA algorithm. I think the same logic applies if you choose Garmin avionics, then you would probably get the Garmin brand pitot.

I have the Dynon pitot but since the AOA requires an in-flight calibration, I suspect it would work with any similar pitot However, I strongly recommend a pitot with a temperature regulated heater. Compared to an unregulated heater, you'll (1) use less power under most situations, and (2)won't burn the s... out of your hand if you touch it on the ground to "see if it's working".

Has anybody tried putting a rivet like a static port in the wing at a 45 degree angle for the AOA?

This was discussed previously here, and it apparently works. I’m going to try it on my RV6 I’m building. My fuel tanks are off, so I can get to the inside of my wingtip and get to the inside of the pop rivet, AKA, a Vans static port. The link above shows an approximate angle for the rivet. Not critical, since you program it in your EFIS.

Has anybody tried putting a rivet like a static port in the wing at a 45 degree angle for the AOA?

Yes, but not as simple as stated and definitely not 45*. Works very well on my 10 and this is now a vans option for the 12.

I put mine in the outer most bay of the wing so that I could access the backside on an assembled wing. Use 1/8" tubing and insert it into the 1/4" tubing and seal.

Larry

Last edited:
Back