What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KISS - just a new rudder please

dafast1

Airventure 2022 wind damage.
A flyer, not a builder, so I'm hitting frequent road blocks.
I just want to build a new rudder, PLEASE.
I'll have help building it. I've build a rudder from another kit decades ago and at that point I said to myself, "enough of that, I'll stick to flying."
Funny thing - the plans that came with the plane are missing diagrams 4-9.
But I can get them. I've ordered the shtick. AND I can see digital copies.
SOOO, I called Van's, "want to order a new rudder, please." Nope, can't do that; you have to submit a list of parts! So I go to the digital diagrams, start looking up part numbers and hit another road block... the stiffeners have letters after the R-915 numbers, (A - H) but those part numbers don't come up on the list to add to your cart.
Help.
There's got to be an easier way, you know, for a flyer JUST TO GET A NEW RUDDER!

New kit

Ever year at OSH we seem to have a storm blow through and damage some rudders. I would hope Vans can do a rudder sub-kit and even bring a few to Osh every year. Heck, If I am driving, I wouldn't mind buying a few and brining them with me to help you all out. And what a better place to build a new rudder than at the airshow?

Rudder Kit

Ever year at OSH we seem to have a storm blow through and damage some rudders. I would hope Vans can do a rudder sub-kit and even bring a few to Osh every year. Heck, If I am driving, I wouldn't mind buying a few and brining them with me to help you all out. And what a better place to build a new rudder than at the airshow?

Actually, Van's does have a just rudder kit! Two years ago I ordered one for my RV-7A (same rudder on the RV-9A). I was surprised that a just rudder kit was available.....

Airventure 2022 wind damage.
A flyer, not a builder, so I'm hitting frequent road blocks.
I just want to build a new rudder, PLEASE.
I'll have help building it. I've build a rudder from another kit decades ago and at that point I said to myself, "enough of that, I'll stick to flying."
Funny thing - the plans that came with the plane are missing diagrams 4-9.
But I can get them. I've ordered the shtick. AND I can see digital copies.
SOOO, I called Van's, "want to order a new rudder, please." Nope, can't do that; you have to submit a list of parts! So I go to the digital diagrams, start looking up part numbers and hit another road block... the stiffeners have letters after the R-915 numbers, (A - H) but those part numbers don't come up on the list to add to your cart.
Help.
There's got to be an easier way, you know, for a flyer JUST TO GET A NEW RUDDER!

If you go to the webstore and type in "rudder" it lists the kit for all the planes. It's still a call to order kit, but there is a single rudder kit part number that you should be able to order. The part number is "7/7A RUDDER-1". The description is "RV-7/7A/9/9A Rudder Kit". If you're looking at just the part number it doesn't appear that they sell a 9 kit, but once you look at the description, its exactly what you want. The stiffeners are R-915 when ordered. You get 8 in the kit and have to cut and modify them to make them into 915A - 915H.

https://store.vansaircraft.com/7-7a-rudder-1-7-7a-rudder-1.html

Last edited:
If you go to the webstore and type in "rudder" it lists the kit for all the planes. It's still a call to order kit, but there is a single rudder kit part number that you should be able to order. The part number is "7/7A RUDDER-1". The description is "RV-7/7A/9/9A Rudder Kit". If you're looking at just the part number it doesn't appear that they sell a 9 kit, but once you look at the description, its exactly what you want.

Wow Van's that was quick. It now list as RV-7/7A/9/9A Rudder Kit

I don’t think the 8 ever adopted the larger 9 style rudder like the 7 did.

And thank God they didn't! The -8 rudder is stronger and stiffer than the -7/-9 rudder due to thicker skins, folded TE, and smaller area.

Last edited:
If you go to the webstore and type in "rudder" it lists the kit for all the planes. It's still a call to order kit, but there is a single rudder kit part number that you should be able to order. The part number is "7/7A RUDDER-1". The description is "RV-7/7A/9/9A Rudder Kit". If you're looking at just the part number it doesn't appear that they sell a 9 kit, but once you look at the description, its exactly what you want. The stiffeners are R-915 when ordered. You get 8 in the kit and have to cut and modify them to make them into 915A - 915H.

..."on backorder"?

Appreciate all your help.
Got the drawing; will start a parts list, and maybe express my concerns in another phone call, perhaps when placing order.
Thanks.

Back