What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie questions

LongbowGuy

I'm New Here
Hello,

I finally decided to take the plunge and purchase an RV-7 I will have plenty of questions in the future, but will keep it short today!!

Any tricks for finding used engines? What are most RV-7 owners going for regarding engine models?

In reading my regs, I noticed Homebuilts are not supposed to fly over densly populated areas. How do they define this phrase? it is widely enforced. Are homebuilts allowed into B and C airspace?

Is there much pain with getting a homebuilt IFR capable?

How much performance can you gain in the RV7 if you choose to go with a fixed pitch prop, as opposed to constant speed? I fly turbine rotary wing, but for FW, I have never flown anything faster then a 172SP

I am very glad to have found this website. seems like a great comunity to me. Definetely helped me pick VAN's over Glasair!

Welcome to the RV world. Believe me, you will get more answers to your questions than you can handle.
Used engines...Aircraft Salvage yards. You are looking for a mid to high time engine that has not had a prop strike. Most any Lycoming O-320 or O-360 will work fine. Having said that, if you can afford it up front, you can't go wrong with a new engine.
The densly populated area restriction is only for the phase I flight testing period (25 to 40 hrs) depending on the engine prop configuration.
RVs can qualify for IFR without much trouble.
Constant speed prop delivers more performance than fixed, however, this is really not needed on RVs. (You will get MANY differences of opinion here.) Fixed pitch works great, is lighter, cheaper, and less maintenance. I've been flying my fixed pitch RV-6 out of a 1500' strip in Texas for over 12 years with no problems.
Mel...DAR

Mel said:
Welcome to the RV world. Believe me, you will get more answers to your questions than you can handle.
Used engines...Aircraft Salvage yards. You are looking for a mid to high time engine that has not had a prop strike. Most any Lycoming O-320 or O-360 will work fine. Having said that, if you can afford it up front, you can't go wrong with a new engine.
The densly populated area restriction is only for the phase I flight testing period (25 to 40 hrs) depending on the engine prop configuration.
RVs can qualify for IFR without much trouble.
Constant speed prop delivers more performance than fixed, however, this is really not needed on RVs. (You will get MANY differences of opinion here.) Fixed pitch works great, is lighter, cheaper, and less maintenance. I've been flying my fixed pitch RV-6 out of a 1500' strip in Texas for over 12 years with no problems.
Mel...DAR

Thanks Mel! Are we talking maybe 2 or 3 knots difference between the CS and Fixed pitch prop? Thanks

LongbowGuy said:
Thanks Mel! Are we talking maybe 2 or 3 knots difference between the CS and Fixed pitch prop? Thanks

That is very hard to nail down. There are so many different types of props, both fixed and C/S, that it is impossible to make a blanket statement. Conventional wisdom is that the C/S does not have a speed advantage over the F/P, but does have a big advantage in take-off and climb, where the C/S allows the engine to develop full power.

Jeff Point
RV-6
Milwaukee

Jeff is right. The biggest advantage of the C/S is that it lets you develop full RPM for takeoff. With a fixed pitch you have to choose whether you want max performance for takeoff, cruise, or a compromise. My point about it not being necessary on an RV is that even with a cruise prop you still have great takeoff performance. My takeoff performance is great, yet I can still cruise 201mph TAS @ 75% pwr with a climp prop. A constant speed prop also gives you better (air) braking on landing approach (read higher drag @ idle rpm). The great thing is that with Experimental Aircraft, you are free to choose whatever suits you best.
Mel...DAR

Formation

If you intend on doing any formation flying with your RV, do yourself a favor and install a constant-speed prop. I know there are many people out there flying formation with fixed pitch props, but they are definitely at a control disadvantage. With a constant speed prop, the throttle response is nearly instantaneous -- in both directions.

Ask Rosie about his experience. He flew around 2000 hours with a fixed pitch, then switched. He flew tons of formation with the fixed pitch as well. From what I heard, he picked up *11 knots* in cruise (his prop may have been under-pitched). I don't recall hearing any comments from him about whether or not he feels more control in formation flying.

Back to the engines topic, do yourself a favor and look into AeroSport Power engines: http://www.aerosportpower.com Great stuff.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (631 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

How hard is it to convert from a FP to a CS. I'm thinking of going with a fixed pitch because (a) I've never flown a CS and (b) money and simplicity.

I fly -- or plan to -- off a reliever airport in a metro area, don't plan on any grass strips, tight airports, or Idaho backcountry flying.

The hardest thing -- the very hardest thing -- for me at this stage of the project is to keep remembering "mission" and stop looking over at the other guy's plane and thinking "he's got one, so I need one."

But what if I do...later. How hard to switch?

dan said:
If you intend on doing any formation flying with your RV, do yourself a favor and install a constant-speed prop. I know there are many people out there flying formation with fixed pitch props, but they are definitely at a control disadvantage. With a constant speed prop, the throttle response is nearly instantaneous -- in both directions.

Ask Rosie about his experience. He flew around 2000 hours with a fixed pitch, then switched. He flew tons of formation with the fixed pitch as well. From what I heard, he picked up *11 knots* in cruise (his prop may have been under-pitched). I don't recall hearing any comments from him about whether or not he feels more control in formation flying.

Back to the engines topic, do yourself a favor and look into AeroSport Power engines: http://www.aerosportpower.com Great stuff.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D (631 hours)
http://www.rvproject.com

LOL SO much to decide! I have heard a lot of good things about aerosportpower! The only thing that worries me is the price. I look at the base price for the overhauled engine(not bad at all), then I look at the price of all the options and it gets a little bewidering. Im not far enough into it to gauge what engine options I need.

As far as Fpvs. CS , I guess it would behoove me to find a few guys with either, and check out the plane/performance. I am mainly looking for cruise speed, but at the same time if we were talking a 300fpm climb decrease using the fixed pitch, I may look into purchasing a CS prop. I routinely fly night low level formation(read shit my pants) for the real job. I just want to relax when I pleasure fly, so formation flying is not a big concern to me.

i'm gonna get crucified here, but here goes...

hang a rotary engine on it!!

go ahead everybody...i can take it!! :rolleyes:

:D

Bob Collins said:
How hard is it to convert from a FP to a CS. I'm thinking of going with a fixed pitch because (a) I've never flown a CS and (b) money and simplicity.

I fly -- or plan to -- off a reliever airport in a metro area, don't plan on any grass strips, tight airports, or Idaho backcountry flying.

The hardest thing -- the very hardest thing -- for me at this stage of the project is to keep remembering "mission" and stop looking over at the other guy's plane and thinking "he's got one, so I need one."

But what if I do...later. How hard to switch?

Bob--
I can't comment on how easy it is to convert, but know that a number of people have. If you want to switch later, just make sure the engine you select can handle either fixed or constant-speed props.

Re: never flown a CS--not a big deal. I went from a C150 to a C182 in about 3 hours of dual.

CS is great, but so is simplicity. RV's do not need CS for take-off or cruise. Even the most "cruise-pitched" RV is going to outclimb a CS C182 any day which I regularly DID fly out of ID/WA backcountry strips. So the question really becomes "how much" performance do you need, are you willing to pay for, or will you ever use?" Having flown both, I'll likely go fixed-pitch for cost and simplicity reasons. If I were going to fly formation, perhaps a CS would be good, but then I've never had a desire to put my life into the hands of 5 or 25 other pilots.

Yes, "mission creep" (after seeing others' planes) can be insidious! I know the feeling, but try to remind myself that I chose to build because it would help me control the costs of flying, and give me what *I* wanted, not so that I could out-do the Jones'.

Just my thoughts--good luck sorting out yours.

Things to ponder

As a fellow rotary dude one of the decisions vexing me was whether to fly with the stick in my right or left hand. After 2000+ hours of heli time flying very intense SaR I thought this would be an issue. After transition training this fear has been put to rest. (I discovered I can't fly it with either hand :eek: )

Also, do yourself a favor and save the coin for new engine. If you don't have a ton of FW time you don't want to face any used engine demons.

And finally, someone put a post about putting a rotary engine in. DON'T DO IT. Stick with an airplane engine for an airplane. I am still hurting from the $27,000 F$&*ing I took from an alternate engine company. Two and a half years later I don't have the engine or my money. I put an ECI in instead. I would love to use it on something if they could ever see fit to send it. Also a rotary just did some grape harvesting after an engine failure on takeoff. Fortunately it wasn't fatal. The owner is a very nice guy.

Had I listened when I was at your point I'd be chasing Dan Checkoway and his 600+ hours!!!

Darwin N.Barrie
Chandler AZ

RV7Guy said:
As a fellow rotary dude one of the decisions vexing me was whether to fly with the stick in my right or left hand. After 2000+ hours of heli time flying very intense SaR I thought this would be an issue. After transition training this fear has been put to rest. (I discovered I can't fly it with either hand :eek: )

Also, do yourself a favor and save the coin for new engine. If you don't have a ton of FW time you don't want to face any used engine demons.

And finally, someone put a post about putting a rotary engine in. DON'T DO IT. Stick with an airplane engine for an airplane. I am still hurting from the $27,000 F$&*ing I took from an alternate engine company. Two and a half years later I don't have the engine or my money. I put an ECI in instead. I would love to use it on something if they could ever see fit to send it. Also a rotary just did some grape harvesting after an engine failure on takeoff. Fortunately it wasn't fatal. The owner is a very nice guy.

Had I listened when I was at your point I'd be chasing Dan Checkoway and his 600+ hours!!!

Darwin N.Barrie
Chandler AZ

Thanks for the help! I will use the KISS concept.

Can anybody shed some light on the average to complete, with the quickbuild kit? I havent really got any answer from Van's. If it really will save me a significat amount of time, I will buy it. thanks

LongbowGuy said:
Thanks for the help! I will use the KISS concept.

Can anybody shed some light on the average to complete, with the quickbuild kit? I havent really got any answer from Van's. If it really will save me a significat amount of time, I will buy it. thanks

I built the QB RV9A. Almost the exact same process as a 7A. I bought a new 0-320 lycoming through Vans and bought their firewall forward package. I completed the airplane in 1190 hours. I had the panel built for me and the 1190 hours does not include the wheel and intersection fairings or paint. Pretty close to what Vans predicts. If your are a first time builder and no powerplant experience like me, go with the firewall forward kit, if for nothing other than the drawings. Without them I was lost and would have needed alot more help. The engine compartment was one of the more straightforward and most satisfying parts of the construction process for me (except the baffles). The baffles are a right of passage; sort of like hazing...... Good luck. Jack

Keep browsing

Welcome to our world! Last summer after a short stint in Iraq for my employer I was in a good position to shop for an engine (not to mention buy my fuselage and finishing kits!) and I kept on Ebay, and VAF websites. I found a first runout O-360 off an RV-4 that was going through a facelift. I snagged it with an Ed Sterba wood prop(suitable for my application), and a harmonic dampener for $8K. After the overhaul(still in process) I'll be into it for about $14K total. The deals are out there; you just have to be persistent in your searching and be on top of them. I'm sure that the engine I got would've been gone in another day or two. I had planned on buying Rosie's FP prop when he went CS but other expenses got in the way (get used to that!) and I figured I could live with the Sterba just fine for the time being. Like Mel says, you'll get more info than you ever bargained for!

--hawk
RV-7A
N728E (reserved)

Mee too

I am in the process of building a RV-8. As you know it has centerline seating and therefore weight and ballance is even more sensitive than a side by side. Even taking this into consideration I will be using a CS prop. I have flown both types and prefer the addtional control that the prop gives you for climb and managing speed.

I'm not a formation junky but I want it to climb like space ship one!

I do feel your pain on keeping within the budget. Every time I see something neat I want it for my plane. If we take the time and listen to Van he believes that the simpler the better. I'm trying to follow that but come on..It's really hard to hold back when there is so much nice stuff available.

One thing I can tell you from experience is that whatever you choose will befine. And not matter what you choose you will eventually second guess yourself. Keeps it fun.

Good luck.

Back