What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Locating forward spinner bulkhead screws?

Motors

I'm New Here
Ok... I've searched quite a bit and haven't really found a method to locate the forward spinner bulkhead pre-drilled mounting screw holes. I'm doing a CS Hartzell prop.

My spinner is a new one that is gel coated grey so seeing through it with a light isn't going to work nor is taking off the gelcoat short of sanding.

Any suggestions out there would be great! Screwless? I have read about that and I'm considering doing that. But I do like the idea of fastening the spinner to the front bulkhead.

Any input appreciated!!

Thanks!!

I used a laser pointer light attached to a fixed object and point to the bulk head screw hole. Then put the spinner on and mark it where it is shining. Once drilled, move the prop and align for the next screw hole.

Thanks Guys... I like the laser pointer idea. I think I have the plane for the rest now. I am planning on bedding the front bulkhead with sikaflex or a tough silicone, like permatex form a gasket Red.

The first link details using cleecos for location.

That approach is the less accurate method.

For accurate location, (say, 3 holes 120 degs, relative) use the correct fractional drill (ex. - 1/8 or 0.125") for the location holes and use a -4 rivet for a locator. It will be a push fit. Suggest using a flush rivet as it will stand proud of the un-dimpled spinner cone, allowing you to carefully extract with pliers if it gets resistant to removal.

Back