What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on the EA OIL COOLER MNT KIT

Brantel

Well Known Member
I just ordered my baffle kit and forgot that someone told me that the oil cooler doubler etc does not come with the baffle kit.

My question is what comes in the EA OIL COOLER MNT KIT?

My gut tells me that for 150 bucks, hopefully the doubler, oil lines and fittings, bolts, nutplates and spacers come in this kit.

What do the experts say???

Parts List

Brian,

Here is the list straight from Vans:

EA OIL COOLER MNT KIT BAFFLE/COOLER ATTACH

1.000 FF-709 OIL COOLER DOUBLER
1.000 AS3-063X1X12 ALUM STRIP
1.000 AT6-058X5/16X15 7/ ALUM TUBE C-610
1.000 VA-134 OIL COOLER HOSE 19.0
1.000 VA-135 OIL COOLER HOSE 16.5
1.000 DWG OP-27A OIL COOLER/BAFFLE
1.000 BAG 620 COOLER ATTACH HDWRE
0.000 ZZZZZZZ EOK ZZZZZZ -----END OF KIT------

Hope this helps....

Thanks Joe,

I just ordered what I needed from this kit to keep me moving and since I don't need the oil lines right now I left them out at this time. (read tight on funds at this time)

Do you know what is included in that BAG 620? They charged me $38 for it. The long bolts should have been about $8 so what else is in there?

Here ya go. The large AN fittings make it expensive...

BAG 620 COOLER ATTACH HDWRE

1.000 AN3-4A BOLT
3.000 AN3-42A FOR OIL COOLER MOUNT
8.000 AN960-10 WASHER (AN3)
2.000 AN822-8D ELBOW 90DG TUBE-PIPE
1.000 AN823-8D ELBOW 45DG TUBE-PIPE
1.000 AN816-8D NIPPLE, TUBE-PIPE
4.000 K1000-3 PLATENUT 10-32

Joe,

Always good to see the factory guys patroling the forum! Thanks for your super quick answers!

Other considerations

Brantel, if you use a real Stewart Warner cooler the Vans doubler does not fit. I presume it fits the SW "style" cooler that Vans sells. You also might want to consider using steel AN fittings rather then the aluminum AN fittings that Vans provides.

Also, before you get to far into mounting the cooler, you may want to consider additional bracing on the baffles in the the left rear corner where you mount it.

Thanks Rick,

Two friends of mine started with the Van's cooler and swapped to the real thing. They were able to tweak it a little and get it to work fine.

Will think about the steel fittings. Those are some big fittings so I am not as worried about them as I would be a smaller one.

Not sure when they added it, but the newer baffle kits come with a reinforcement brace that I have not seen on the older baffle kits. Did yours have this part?

Last edited:
Yes, new style baffle kit

Yes, I have the new style kit. Here are a couple of photos I took before I finished. I may have beefed it up more then necessary but I was told this is a very high stress area.

In the corner by the cylinder, I used a piece of .063 1.5x1.5 pre-formed angle (p/n 03-48700 from Spruce) instead of the doubler that Van's provided. You can't see it very well in the photos but I also used 2 more pieces of the .063 formed angle to make a sort of "Z" on the inboard corner. The pre-formed angle is has a rounded corner and fits the corners on the baffles very well.

It was a lot of extra work but I feel it was worth it for long term durability.

As far as the Steel fitting. The reason I switched is because my understanding is that using Aluminum fitting on the Aluminum Oil Cooler will result in galled threads and ruin the Cooler. In fact, I switched to steel fittings on many of my FWF parts.

baffles004lz3.jpg

baffles010km7.jpg

first off, the doubler did work for me, using the sw cooler 8406r. Next I was given a tip to put some of the black seal stuff for the baffle kit in between the cooler and the doubler. Helps with vibration and backs the cooler away from the cylender. You can order the sw cooler from ACS, along with that order the steel fittings, as I hear aluminum fittings are a no no.

Oil Cooler Mount Kit Drawings

Does anybody have the drawings/instructions for the oil cooler mount kit. I can make the parts but it would be nice to see the location for the oil cooler cutout if it is stated on the plans. ned rose

Ned,
I’ll check my plans tomorrow to see if those drawings were included. I didn’t mount my cooler on the baffle, so I didn’t order that part of the kit, and didn’t pay attention to that detail, but if I have them, they’re yours. I’ll take a pic and send via email, or just via usps - if they were included in my plans.

Brian,
I have the FF-709 doubler piece if you want it. Since I mounted my cooler on the firewall, I don’t need it. Let me know, I’ll put it in a priority box and send it to you. It fits the cooler specified by Vans, not the wider one that some use.

Back