Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Education > Instrument Flight Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2022, 07:17 PM

Default News from FAA on instrument ACS and IPC

The FAA has just issued a memo concerning instrument flight tests and instrument proficiency checks. They have retracted previous language and interpretations requiring "2 different non-precision approaches using 2 different navigation systems". The new language drops the reference to navigation systems, it is now just "2 different non-precision approaches". This clarifies that GPS-only aircraft may be used for flight tests and IPCs.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:28 PM

Default IPC memo

Do you have a link to the memo? I'm not finding it.

Thanks, Ken
Old 03-08-2022, 08:52 PM

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/noti...ssion_memo.pdf
Old 03-08-2022, 09:54 PM

I read that memo differently. It doesn't alter the phrase at all, it clarifies prior misinterpretations.

"...test an applicant on three different kinds of approaches, consisting of one precision approach and two non-precision approaches, which must use two different kinds of navigational aids."

Does a GPS-only aircraft use "two different kinds of navigational aids?" I actually don't know, but if so, yay!
Fuse ordered - crating Apr '23
Finish ordered - crating Winter '23 (hopefully)

Last edited by gotyoke : 03-08-2022 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotyoke View Post
I read that memo differently. It doesn't alter the phrase at all, it clarifies prior misinterpretations.

"...test an applicant on three different kinds of approaches, consisting of one precision approach and two non-precision approaches, which must use two different kinds of navigational aids."

Does a GPS-only aircraft use "two different kinds of navigational aids?" I actually don't know, but if so, yay!
Read it again, carefully. The above quote is from the ACS. The memo notes that this phrase is not consistent with the latest interpretation of the fars, which require multiple different approaches but do not require different nav aides.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Read it again, carefully. The above quote is from the ACS. The memo notes that this phrase is not consistent with the latest interpretation of the fars, which require multiple different approaches but do not require different nav aides.
Thanks Bob!

Next up: Basic Med for safety pilots?
Old 03-08-2022, 10:45 PM

FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education
Changes to Instrument Rating Cross Country Approach Requirement
Notice Number: NOTC2305
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) recently reviewed two legal interpretation and determined they were overly restrictive. The Glaser (2008) and Pratte (2012) legal interpretations focused on the requirements of an instrument rating under § 61.65. Specifically, the requirement to use three different kinds of approaches with the use of navigation systems to meet the requirements of § 61.65(d)(2)(ii)(C). These interpretations inaccurately concluded that an applicant for an instrument rating must use three different kinds of navigation systems to meet these requirements.
On February 28, 2022, the FAA rescinded both the Glaser and Pratte legal interpretations, stating the regulation’s plain language requires three different types of approaches, not three different navigation systems. Certificated flight instructors (CFI) and designated pilot examiners (DPEs) should be aware that the requirements for an instrument rating may be met by performing three different approaches, regardless of the source of navigation.
The above plain language interpretation is from the FAA. Note the last sentence.

Basic Med for safety pilots. Well, the FAA administrator has promised this. We’ll see. Since this makes perfect sense I have my doubts! -
Old 03-09-2022, 04:27 AM

As I read it, yes this allows a single navigation system, but your instrument rating still requires 2 Non Precision and one Precision approach. It further clarifies that a PAR is considered a precision approach.

So you could get away with a GPS only device, if you had access to use and demonstrate a PAR approach. I do not believe there are any other precision approaches currently that do not rely on radio navigation.

I believe there is a draft AC circulating 90-119 that would allow for LPV to be changed from non-precision to a precision approach.

Just my .02
Old 03-09-2022, 07:00 AM

Wonderful. So now we can "officially" have all our eggs in one basket with regard to IFR approaches. That's not a positive step, in my opinion.

I know, I know, to each their own and all that... just call me old-fashioned and I'll be happy to keep my VOR/ILS capability. GPS can and does fail, sometimes even intentionally.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Pending Repeat Offender - 10 kit is on order. TDI? Turbine? Stay tuned!
Old 03-09-2022, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
The FAA has just issued a memo concerning instrument flight tests and instrument proficiency checks. They have retracted previous language and interpretations requiring "2 different non-precision approaches using 2 different navigation systems". The new language drops the reference to navigation systems, it is now just "2 different non-precision approaches". This clarifies that GPS-only aircraft may be used for flight tests and IPCs.
Does that mean that they now accept an LPV as a precision approach? I always thought there position was it was not. Also, how do you get two different non-precision approaches via GPS.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 03-09-2022 at 07:39 AM.