What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Debur methods for polished AC

1bigdog

Well Known Member
How do the builders who have polished finishes debur their skins. I'm guessing most would knock off the nubs first but I would suspect stay away from scotchbrite.

I've seen a couple references to v-groove tools. The Cleaveland kit has an edge debur but you can also get attachements from Shaviv meant to clean the edge and there appear to be several others.

What are you using that keeps the skins pristine for polish???

Thanks

Michael B.

No real change needed

Mike:

Careful handling will be needed, but other than keeping the scotchbrite in its box, normal procedures would apply. Use a fairly fine file on the edges, and a normal deburr tool on the holes. The boys at Breckinridge used blue painters tape and heavy brown paper to cover the P38 when they worked on it after polish. Also, saw the Thunder Mustang boys use a rubber-backed bath mat to get in and out at Reno - great idea on a slippery AND slanted surface.

Have fun with the polisher!

Carry on!
Mark

I had good luck with

6 inch 3M wheels on a bench grinder. They are a little pricey but do a great job deburring the edges without scarring the surface of the parts. Get a medium grit for shaping (removing) metal and a fine one for polishing the edge. Mostly work perpendicular to the wheel so you dont cut a groove in it. They also make 1 inch and 2 inch wheels with a mandrel for an air grinder ar a fast drill. Great for the edges of lightening holes. Bought my 3m supplies from Cleveland Tool. If you are going to buy the bench grinder, check out the harbor freight bench polisher and stand.

I bought almost everything in the complete kit from Cleaveland so it includes the 6, 2 and 1" wheels. Trying test strips on the edges I found that trying to clean if perpendicular would chatter using the 6" wheel. Running edge on is ok but as you mention it would eventually cut a groove.

I'll try out one of the edge v-tools or http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/topages/shavivtools90095.php
It seems like the right approach, but I'll try to get the knack with the wheel and did find ok results with the vixen file.

Cheers.

Michael B.

Sandpaper

I found quickest method was to use:
- vixen file to get the small notches and bumps.
(Very light pressure)
- 220 grit sandpaper (rounding and removes the sharp edge from vixen file)
- 600 paper (buffs and polishes the edge)

For paper I use it folded to make it stiff, but still flexible, the finger tips becomes the perfect shaping tool. A sanding block would work as well, but it is more difficult to make round edges.

I tried with and without the vinyl. In most cases I had to go over again with the 600 if I Left the vinyl on. The vinyl also get a little 'frizzled' making it difficult to evaluate the finish as you go along.

Deburring this way takes less than a minutes per edge.

Scrap sheets

I guess that's why VANS sends scrap pieces with the empennage.
So I'll stick a handle on the file and try out everyone's methods. I did order the Shaviv edge deburr kit regardless, and some boots for the clecko's just for good measure.

Thanks all.

Michael B.

Back