What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spare Alternator

MikeyDale

Well Known Member
I have a Plane Power AL12-E160/V 60 amp alternator on my RV7 that has a little over 500 hrs on it since new. It is working well now but I would like to have a reasonably priced spare, possibly a readily available auto parts store alternator that would fit in case I'm traveling and my PP goes out. I do not wish to create a debate on BC vs PP or the reliability of an auto alternator as I've read plenty about that. I have been looking at old threads.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dnp-210-0213/year/1995/make/honda/model/civic is unavailable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V1BN60 is unavailable

Besides fitting my mount and pully, it would need to have built in voltage regulator. I have found 1995 Honda Civic alternators available online on Nappa but not sure if they have built in Voltage Regulator...It seems PP alternators start having trouble around that 500 hr mark and I just want a spare that I can use while getting the PP rebuilt.

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter!

Google 14684 alternator, this is internally regulated, originally appeared on Suzuki and other small vehicles. Presently available on Amazon but I don't know if it will fit your current bracket.

https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Gear-PG-14684-Professional-Alternator/dp/B00KL51IM8

519agQVrZyL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

No need to carry a spare if you are in driving distance to an autopart store. 14684 is spot on. Didn’t have it in stock, but was there by 2 pm same day.

Instead of packing a spare alternator (and tools to install it someplace), consider installing the very nice B&C 20 amp standby alternator on the vacuum pump pad. This alternator has more than enough power to run your plane and keep the battery(s) topped off - and it would always be ready if needed.

Carl

The problem here is both B&C and Hartzell/Plane-Power are approaching $900 by the time you hang it on the plane. This is essentially for a $150 dollar alternator that has a internal regulator modified with the all important "Overvoltage" crowbar built in or, as with the B&C, an external regulated system with an, over priced, remote regulator with over volt.

I may rebuild my Plane Power if it croaks and I can obtain the needed parts.
A more perfect solution would be to find a similar Denso style auto alternator that is already set up for an external regulator.

For an external regulator I would use a V1700 sold by Motor City Reman
https://www.motorcityreman.com/vorev13.html ;it's $110. It it has an overvolt system built in and looks suspiciously similar to a $360 FAA approved regulator.

Last edited:
Rock auto

Brand New REMY 94623 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Remy Gold Info
55 Amps. $95.00 works great and new.

I've had two alt failures away from home base. First time I was close enough to home I just turned around and flew back with master switch off. Replaced that alt then with with one from O Rileys. That one failed about two years later and replaced with same. I LOVE the fact that no matter where I am and even on a Sunday, I can find a replacement locally for so soooo much cheaper than the usual aviation circles and that's not to mention the wait/down time in waiting for one of the expensive ones to be shipped to where ever you happen to be. A no brainer. When I had the second failure, O Rileys swapped it out for $0! They reminded me it had a lifetime warranty.

I am an analytical person so I made a list of advantages and disadvantages of the aviation certified alts and the locally obtained alts.

Locally obtained advantages
1. Available today (even on a Sunday)
2. No shipping cost
3. Much MUCH cheaper
4. Drop in replacement (One bolt hole has to be slightly enlarged. I carry a reamer)
5. Internally regulated
6. Reasonably reliable

Disadvantages of locally obtained
1. I can't think of ANY

Aviation sourced alt advantages
1. I can't think of any

Aviation sourced alt disadvantages
1. Extraordinary cost, (yes I'm biased here) :)
2. Add shipping to number 1 (today... whew!)
3. Down time AKA stuck where you are waiting on new one. Oh wait I forgot you can overnight it $$$$
4. If wifey or girlfriend is with you, add a night or two in a hotel and meals as you wait
5. Reliability who knows, mine failed at 391 hours

You get my point. All things considered, the locally obtained units are very VERY reasonable.

Last edited:
Temper expectations for these options.

I may rebuild my Plane Power if it croaks and I can obtain the needed parts.
A more perfect solution would be to find a similar Denso style auto alternator that is already set up for an external regulator.

I have been thinking all along about this exact option, but after taking a PP apart and looking for a stand-in found a problem.

1. There is no alternator made that has the same front and rear housings like the PP.
2. The PP that I dissembled had an unobtainable bearing on the SRE - slip-ring-end. I did get a quote ($2.34) from the Taiwan factory but it was 5000 pc minimum. A bridge too far. The belt end bearing is available.

This leaves the overhaul option without an SRE bearing replacement, - -the good news is that the grease in the failed PP I took apart had plenty of grease, so getting another 500 hrs by replacing the regulator (w/brushes) and stator should suffice for another 500 hrs. Bearing analysis of the two bearings projected over 2500 hrs for a B10 life.

My research was pretty intensive, but I am always hopeful an OTS replacement will be discovered that has the same connection dimensions. The PP is actually a pretty good design, just poorly assembled and lousy inbound parts quality control to catch stuff early.

Back