What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is this tab on the starter needed?

dwranda

Well Known Member
Another newb question. I'm putting together my air intake from James and it seems to interfere with this tab on the starter. I don't see that I would be using any of the 4 tabs coming off the starter. What is it for and can I get rid of it so I have an easier installation for the filter assembly?
20220215-154829.jpg

Last edited:
For some reason when i make a post and try to attach pics all from my phone the pics don't show up. I have to do it from my laptop. Must be a reason

On some installations, there is a short link between that tab and the engine case, gives the starter s bit more stabilization. Some, it is omitted. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference as long as there are no kickback issues. I had the issue, broke the starter, as did two of my neighbors, then P-mag came out with "Mod 40" which prevented the mag from firing until there was sufficient momentum. Also, since I am running a pumped up engine, I retarded the P-mag spark one tooth, 2.4 degrees.
Take a look at your engine case, see if there is a boss with a threaded hole for the starter brace.

Regards,

DAR Gary

Forward facing induction

On my build I couldn't use that mounting point and it was problematic for the forward facing induction/air filter. I accepted the possible warranty issues and trimmed mine out of the way.

YIO 390 from Thunderbolt with FM-200.

On my build I couldn't use that mounting point and it was problematic for the forward facing induction/air filter. I accepted the possible warranty issues and trimmed mine out of the way.

YIO 390 from Thunderbolt with FM-200.

Yes problematic is the exact word I would use to describe it. Looks like I'll be following your lead and losing that tab. Thanks!

My application: IO360 w/ AF servo w/ horizontal orientation. Trimmed two tabs off my NL149 starter to allow good routing of intake snorkel.

Take a look after all your accessories are installed and make the call. Note: there is a short link called out in the plans (RV7)

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 120
  • starter link.jpg
    starter link.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 84
  • starter link2.jpg
    starter link2.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 92
Back