What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elastomeric gear

when I do wheel maintenance I put a 2x4 under the fuse skin directly under the spar, then one of those long HF jacks under that. Two jacks should lift the whole fuse, but you'll need to support the back as well. I would NOT jack on the fuse at the firewall, though I have lifted the plan via the engine mount, but saw horse at the rear holds some weight.

Larry

Lift

I'm going to work the wheel pants & gear leg fairings. She has no wings. How else can I lift the fuse and make it level long and lat? I plan to make a cradle with a couple 2" boards to fit the center section and use the HF table to lift the fuse. I may use the cherry picker as a safety.
I searched VAF and there are quite a few who lift the entire airplane using a similar set up. Motorcycle jack, Home brew table, HF table.
https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1612858&postcount=4
https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1612922&postcount=5

Last edited:
Lift

I didn't care for the HF hydraulic table. No lock out to prevent it from leak down. I bought the 1500lb aluminum motorcycle lift. It has a lockout to prevent dropping.
Also went to Home Depot and bought a 4x6x8 treated douglas fir and a 2x6x8. The huge block will be cut into 2 foot lengths. It can be stacked either on the 4" or 6" to build a platform for the lift. The 2x6 will be cut to fit the center section. If not perfectly flat, I will carve it to fit. Should be pretty stable. More to come

I didn't care for the HF hydraulic table. No lock out to prevent it from leak down. I bought the 1500lb aluminum motorcycle lift. It has a lockout to prevent dropping.
Also went to Home Depot and bought a 4x6x8 treated douglas fir and a 2x6x8. The huge block will be cut into 2 foot lengths. It can be stacked either on the 4" or 6" to build a platform for the lift. The 2x6 will be cut to fit the center section. If not perfectly flat, I will carve it to fit. Should be pretty stable. More to come

Got pics of what you did?

Lift

Almost done but first a couple observations.
Turns out, it only takes about 2"-3" of lift to get the tires off the ground. Stability seems to be the biggest problem. Keeping whatever lift mechanism from shifting sideways is the problem. Just like lifting a car. It will want to shift toward gravity. I've learned that lesson with cars. One scissor jack folded right over. Another time two jack stands tilted right over. Gravity is vicious.
1. Lift once or routine use. If you just need to lift the fuse once to fit the pants and fairings, the cherry picker works fine. Build a couple supports and a 2x6 or 4x4 accross the fuse at the center section spar. If no cherry picker, figure out a way to lift then place jack stands at either end of the support. Be careful because there's nothing tieing the two supports to keep the fuse from shifting sideways. Shimming to level is also required so plan accordingly.
2. Multi use lift. The motorcycle lift seems pretty stable considering there's no wings to lift from at the tie downs. I still like lifting at the center section but it would be nice to have a couple supports at the wing tie downs for security.
I will post a photo of the lift tomorrow.

Have you given any thought to the screw style jacks used to support yachts when on the dry dock...should be relatively inexpensive. .very simple process..I use them when my 30,000lb Bluewater Coastal is on the dry dock and trust them completely..Here's a link..Brownell Boat Stands..

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/brownell-boat-stands--27-flat-top-replacement-for-boat-stand--353484?gclid=CjwKCAjwzeqVBhAoEiwAOrEmzeVlvvthsASpmVL4s5cbYpc68SHVhZY1_Sw0ze1Mlfp-J8VNVTsUvBoCTNQQAvD_BwE

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!...=2ahUKEwjunemnm9D4AhVjIUQIHVg2CTEQoip6BAhiEAM

Last edited:
Jacks

Have you given any thought to the screw style jacks used to support yachts when on the dry dock...should be relatively inexpensive. .very simple process..I use them when my 30,000lb Bluewater Coastal is on the dry dock and trust them completely..Here's a link..Brownell Boat Stands..
<snip>

Yes. I was going that route and I may still. Screw or HF bottle type jacks would work well. The concern is the lateral stability. There isn't any structure locking the two jacks together so the plane can't move laterally. Like I said, I may try them as an alternate method. I can always use them as wing jacks.
It's scarry how something heavy can lean with gravity. I've seen it twice. Once our SUV sissor jack collapsed. I was changing a tire and got up to get something and it came down. Jack looked like a steel pretzel. Another time it was my fault. I had a vehicle on jack stands but the area wasn't level. It slowly went back and landed on the tires. All four jack stands just tilted over. I hadn't removed them yet. I'm a little overly cautious now. Belt and suspenders.

For nosewheel maintenance, I just bolted a plate to the hangar floor under the tail and used a block and tackle to pull the tail down. Gets the nose quite high when you can pull the tail down to a few inches from the floor.

In fact, I used an old door hinge so it flops flat when not using it so I don't trip over it. That and a couple Tapcons and you're good to go.

Lift

For nosewheel maintenance, I just bolted a plate to the hangar floor under the tail and used a block and tackle to pull the tail down. Gets the nose quite high when you can pull the tail down to a few inches from the floor.

In fact, I used an old door hinge so it flops flat when not using it so I don't trip over it. That and a couple Tapcons and you're good to go.

In this case, I'm working pants and fairings so the fuse needs to be level both ways. I also like tools that have more than one function. Motorcycle lift will be used eventually. The crasle will also be used again to lift the airplane for annuals.
Assuming this works! :D

I don't quite understand the lateral (i assume you mean roll) issue if you are on a level concrete pad and have 2 large jack pads, one on the left wind root and one on the right..and lifting near the CG point..(unless there's a substantial fuel imbalance)..Are you a 7A or a 7?

In any case I'm planning to use 2 of the yacht jacks when I need to lift my 7A for tire maintenance.

Good luck

Lift 7A

I don't quite understand the lateral (i assume you mean roll) issue if you are on a level concrete pad and have 2 large jack pads, one on the left wind root and one on the right..and lifting near the CG point..(unless there's a substantial fuel imbalance)..Are you a 7A or a 7?

In any case I'm planning to use 2 of the yacht jacks when I need to lift my 7A for tire maintenance.

Good luck

Yes. 7A, no wings.
That's the issue.
Tipping in the direction of the slope. Sliding would be a better description. I'm sure the two yacht jacks will be fine.

My shop floor is not level. 1.6 degrees. Not much, but it matters. Lift point has to be the Center Section or from the engine hoist loop. Engine hoist still requires something to keep it supported and level in both directions to work the pants.

I'm a little over protective. As I mentioned, I had a car tip off jack stands and it was much lower. Jack stands just tilted slowly and it landed on tires. My 7A has to go up to 30" to get all three tires off the ground. Thankfully, it's only 2" of lift. Center of mass is much higher. I plan to keep the cherry picker snug until I'm confident it's not going to move.
Belt and suspenders.

How much off?

Yes. 7A, no wings.
...My 7A has to go up to 30" to get all three tires off the ground. Thankfully, it's only 2" of lift. Center of mass is much higher. I plan to keep the cherry picker snug until I'm confident it's not going to move.
Belt and suspenders.

So how much would the wheel pants be off if they were aligned with the weight on the wheels? Like 2 knots slower?

Does everyone align wheel pants with weight off the wheels?

Asking for a friend...

Align pants

Good luck

So how much would the wheel pants be off if they were aligned with the weight on the wheels? Like 2 knots slower?

Asking for a friend...

Not so much speed as aero. It can cause all sorts of effects. Usually yaw. They have to be aligned to the aiplane centerline. They also need to be level to the airplane or that also may cause other aero effects like heavy wing. No first hand experience. Just what has been relayed from other builders.
My method was a partial failure. The lift works great, but it's difficult to get the fuse level and it doesn't feel stable. I need a secondary method to stabilize and level the fuse laterally. Now I see why everyone does this after wings are installed. Oh bother. Down the rabbit hole. Where's that red pill! :D

Asking for a friend...

I have heard of people getting good results with either. Believe it or not the wheel fairings do little compared to the gear leg fairings. I sincerely doubt having it off the gear would make that large of a difference in alignment of gear leg fairings but I did it anyways as that is what the manual says. I do however know of one build log where a builder did it on the ground and got zero adverse effects.

What?

?..Now I see why everyone does this after wings are installed. Oh bother. Down the rabbit hole. Where's that red pill! :D

Gotta find a way to do it wings off. Maybe a fork mount that picks up the spar stubs?

I’ll be there in a few months; goota get thru the windscreen fiberglass evil place.

Not so much speed as aero. It can cause all sorts of effects. Usually yaw. They have to be aligned to the aiplane centerline. They also need to be level to the airplane or that also may cause other aero effects like heavy wing. No first hand experience. Just what has been relayed from other builders.
My method was a partial failure. The lift works great, but it's difficult to get the fuse level and it doesn't feel stable. I need a secondary method to stabilize and level the fuse laterally. Now I see why everyone does this after wings are installed. Oh bother. Down the rabbit hole. Where's that red pill! :D

Larry may I ask, why are you not using the typically bottle jack method? This is highly effective at leveling in all directions if you use the 3 tie downs. You jack up the wings/fuse and you will need a weight/strap connected to the tail to hold it down. Only down side is everything will still be low to the ground so installing the pants is kind of a pain but not too bad. Are your wings not on yet I'm assuming?

Pants

Larry may I ask, why are you not using the typically bottle jack method? This is highly effective at leveling in all directions if you use the 3 tie downs. You jack up the wings/fuse and you will need a weight/strap connected to the tail to hold it down. Only down side is everything will still be low to the ground so installing the pants is kind of a pain but not too bad. Are your wings not on yet I'm assuming?

Yep. It's 45 minutes to the hangar. If I can do this at home, it will eliminate another hangar task. I think I have a solution.
Two of these to level and stabilize the fuse.
Nice jack stands I can also use for vehicle work.
Mophorn V Head Pipe Stand Adjustable Height 28-52 Inch, Pipe Jack Stands 2500 LB. Capacity,Folding Portable Pipe Stands 1/2 to 12 Inch Pipe Supporting,Steel Jack Stands https://a.co/d/eEoF1wF

Yep. It's 45 minutes to the hangar. If I can do this at home, it will eliminate another hangar task. I think I have a solution.
Two of these to level and stabilize the fuse.
Nice jack stands I can also use for vehicle work.
Mophorn V Head Pipe Stand Adjustable Height 28-52 Inch, Pipe Jack Stands 2500 LB. Capacity,Folding Portable Pipe Stands 1/2 to 12 Inch Pipe Supporting,Steel Jack Stands https://a.co/d/eEoF1wF

Ah gotcha, good idea to do it ahead of time. Will make it very much so easier to not have the wings in the way. You might play around with a bottle jack idea if possible because you will want them when the plane is done. But either way like you said you can use those jacks for other things too so no worries. I think the bottle jacks you would want might be too tall anyways.

Back