What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Please identify my oil filter debris

flysrv10

Well Known Member
I found these debris while cleaning my oil filter screen. I have a reusable oil filter, not a paper filter.

I normally change oil and clean filter every 25 hrs. This time, I have have let it go for 60 hrs, or did not record my last oil change. Not sure.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
I have had similar issues, I have overnighted them to Lycoming, and they got back to me the following day. In my case, found some conical brass in the suction screen, turned out to be part of the Tach drive bushing. Give them a call and you will most likely get Answers rather than Opinions.

Regards,
DAR Gary

Here is the contact information:

LYCOMING ENGINES
652 Oliver Street
Williamsport, PA 17701

United States and Canada
1-800-258-3279 or 1-570-323-6181

Product Support Hotline
1-877-839-7878

Cheers,

DAR Gary

One other area you might check Rob is to see if your main crank seal is turning inside the cases, A local member on our field just replaced one due to that problem, you can check by having a buddy turn the prop ( carefully) and watch with a mirror or bore scope .

Lycoming will only analyze oil for engines under warranty.

I will check my filter in 5 hours. Still looking for your opinion.

Thank you.

One other area you might check Rob is to see if your main crank seal is turning inside the cases, A local member on our field just replaced one due to that problem, you can check by having a buddy turn the prop ( carefully) and watch with a mirror or bore scope .

Thank you. I will try that. The only area with Pliobond.

If you want a good analysis of the material, you can send it to Blackstone labs. Just put it in a sample dish (or zip lock bag for that matter) with a note describing the issue and request, and they'll tell you what it is and likely provide suggestions on where to look.

The cost is more than a normal oil analysis, but worth it.

If you want a good analysis of the material, you can send it to Blackstone labs. Just put it in a sample dish (or zip lock bag for that matter) with a note describing the issue and request, and they'll tell you what it is and likely provide suggestions on where to look.

Ok. Thank you.

Blackstone will not identify metal, in my case. I think they are setup for a whole filter or the paper in the filter.

Perhaps Avlab is the next stop.

Not an answer to your question, but there is a great SB from Lycoming if you haven't seen it: https://www.lycoming.com/content/service-bulletin-no-480-f

This seems like a lot of metal, not sure I would fly the plane without figuring out where it's coming from.

Thanks for the link. It looks like a ¼ teaspoon of particles is acceptable. My black ferrous "powder" is not measurable.

I am planning on checking the filter again at 5hrs.

Metal Identification

You might try AvLab in Houston. They do metal particle analysis to identify base material and alloy content and can often identify the specific engine component source of the debris. Not sure what size sample they require, but worth a call to inquire. Probably less than $150 for a comprehensive report on your sample.

https://www.avlab.com/laboratory_services_group_s/1871.htm

Good luck,
Peter

You might try AvLab in Houston. They do metal particle analysis to identify base material and alloy content and can often identify the specific engine component source of the debris. Not sure what size sample they require, but worth a call to inquire. Probably less than $150 for a comprehensive report on your sample.

https://www.avlab.com/laboratory_services_group_s/1871.htm

Good luck,
Peter

Thank you. I talked to them. They were not sure if they could identify the metal. So I am flying the plane locally for a few hours to see if I get additional debris. Then make a decision.

Back