What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Red Cube differences

Planecrazy232

Well Known Member
Aircraft Spruce lists two part numbers for the FT60 Red Cube transducers. Part # 10-01165 and part # 10-01196.

Per their Q&A:

Q: What is the difference in PN 10-01165 Dynon EMS fuel flow sensor and PN 10-01196 EI FT-60?
A: Part number 10-01165 and Part number 10-01196 are exactly the same part. Dynon uses the EI FT 60 for their systems.

So there's a $35.00 difference in price- but they say it's the same part. What gives? This is for my Garmin G3X Touch system.

Last edited:
Aircraft Spruce lists two part numbers for the FT60 Red Cube transducers. Part # 10-01165 and part # 10-01196.

Per their Q&A:

Q: What is the difference in PN 10-01165 Dynon EMS fuel flow sensor and PN 10-01196 EI FT-60?
A: Part number 10-01165 and Part number 10-01196 are exactly the same part. Dynon uses the EI FT 60 for their systems.

So there's a $35.00 difference in price- but they say it's the same part. What gives? This is for my Garmin G3X Touch system.

The expensive version is the Garmin version. :) Less expensive but same is Dynon.....

The fuel flow transducers are different colors depending if it is a gravity feed system or not, and/or a carbureted or fuel injected system. Give the manufacture a shout and make sure you install the correct transducer for the application. ALSO.... there was had a fatal accident near here a couple of years ago, the builder used Teflon tape and RTV in the fuel fittings, which caused a partial blockage of the outflow port on the transducer.
Follow published techniques and practices.
DAR Gary

An FT-60 is an FT-60...

Quick, buy the Dynon version before AS realizes their mistake and changes the price :)

Last edited:
We only manufacture three versions of our flow transducers. The FT-60 (red cube), good for engines up to 350 horsepower and utilizing a fuel pump. The FT-90 (gold cube), good for engines from 350-550 horsepower, or ANY gravity fed application, regardless of horsepower. Lastly, the FT-180 (black cube), for use with engines over 550 horsepower.

Dave,

While we have your ear, have the dependability of the red cubes been improved? They seem to have a bad rap out there. I made it 450hrs before mine started intermittently giving zero readings and back to normal several times a flight. What are the usual failure modes and why?

We only manufacture three versions of our flow transducers. The FT-60 (red cube), good for engines up to 350 horsepower and utilizing a fuel pump.

Question, I will have a 195hp O-360 that will be gravity fed, the above says the red is for a fuel pump. Which fuel flow should I use?

Dave,

While we have your ear, have the dependability of the red cubes been improved? They seem to have a bad rap out there. I made it 450hrs before mine started intermittently giving zero readings and back to normal several times a flight. What are the usual failure modes and why?

Apologies for the tardy reply. Unfortunately, it's difficult to find the time to frequent the forums as often as I'd like.

Regarding reliability, I think the "bad rap out there" is likely due to the fact that you rarely read about a product that is functioning as it should and typically only read about the ones that are not. We ship hundreds of flow transducers each month and see very few premature failures in comparison. Not only do we use them with our systems, so do Dynon, Garmin, Insight and many other manufacturers. As such, there are quite a few of our flow transducers in the market. Having said that, we of course cannot lay claim to 100% reliability and are aware of failures. The installation instructions should be carefully followed, paying special attention to isolation from heat and vibration as they are the leading contributors to damaged electronic devices.

Erratic indications are typically the symptom operators notice first. This can be an indication of loose, corroded, or otherwise bad connections. It can also be due to debris in the transducer, or even a trapped air bubble. If you are experiencing erratic indications, I recommend reviewing the aforementioned possibilities. If after having done so, the erratic indications persist, the transducer may be damaged internally and requires replacement. It is difficult to determine the nature of a failed transducer as the unit is sealed and any attempt to dissect the transducer typically results in further damage to the internal components.

If anyone would like to discuss further, please send me a PM, send me an e-mail at [email protected] or give me a call at 541-318-6060.

Dave

I'd like to go on record and give a shout out to Dave and the staff at EI. We probably have plumbed more flow tranducers in a variety of aircraft than maybe any other company out there. As such, while there have been some funny readings every now and then with no real reason, that % is very low as compared to the number of cubes out there world wide. While there maybe others, I personally know of 5 that seem to have a mind of its own.

Overall, an excellent unit.
Tom

Back