What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Two Questions

Flyyak

Well Known Member
Friend
1. I have tried to set the AOA calibrations on several flights without success. The minimum visible and caution alert settings show indications set but the stall warning indicates accepted but when done is pressed it indicates calibration unacceptable. I have re-read the instructions and followed them by performing a power off stall as instructed, indicates accepted but when done is pressed, states calibration not successful. What am I missing?

2. On takeoff I have started to experience high EGT reading on #1 cylinder (1400+) but CHTs are all well below 400. EGT only remains high for short period until I reduce prop setting from full to my climb setting of 2400.

I just went through this process last week and it calibrated fine. Are you actually stalling the aircraft or are you approaching a stall? I would try again without actually stalling the aircraft. Also, I calibrated mine in the landing configuration with flaps in.

The single cylinder high egt could be a fouled plug. When only one plug is firing, the EGT goes up and CHT may go down

Make sure you follow the calibration procedure/sequence listed in the IM.
34.4.6.2 AOA Calibration Procedure

Thanks. I think I followed the sequence but I will give it another try to make sure. I did do a full stall and recovery. When I check the settings, it shows calibrations for minimum visible and caution alert but none for stall.

I will also check plugs. Thanks for info.

Thing needed to be aware of.... AOA is a great tool for efficient flight..That said, do not rely on it to determine how close one is to critical angle of attack!!!!
In a "hi "g" bank, both wings are NOT in the same flight regime, that is, one may be closer to the critical angle of attack than the other, but the determination is usually on only one wing. Take a read, ''Flying the Wing". In my 33,000 hours, there is seldom a day that goes by that I don't think about information I learned from that book!

DAR Gary

Back