What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bringing a partially completed EAB (plans-built) into the USA from Canada?

scsmith

Well Known Member
Question for the brain-trust:

What is involved in driving across the border from Canada to the USA with a partially completed home-built airplane, built from plans?

Years ago I brought a brand-new, competed glider into the US from Germany, and it wasn't too difficult. I don't recall for sure, but I don't think there was any import duty for it.

In this case, a bunch of steel tubing cut to specific lengths and welded together, and a bunch of spruce sticks cut to specific lengths and glued together, so that the assemblies look kind of like airplane parts.

Is there paperwork that I should do ahead of time, or just drive up to the POE and let them figure it out?

Been there, done that. My current project originated near Toronto and now rests comfortably in my garage in Utah.
You will discover, if you haven't, that Transport Canada (their FAA) requires all permanently closed spaces, like the vertical stab, to remain open until inspected by TC. So, you're going to be able to get a good look at all the work that has been done. Mostly, it's like purchasing any project. Make sure you get as much documentation as there is. All the photographs, all the manuals, all the build logs, etc.
As to transporting the kit into the US, find the border crossing you'll be using, and contact the Customs people there. We contracted with a company who does trans-border shipping to help us. It might have cost $500? Let them complete your paperwork and documentation in advance, and you will literally roll across the border with a simple visual inspection of the contents of your truck. There will be a question about Custom's Duties. That's what the Customs contractor is good at. Remember, originally, it was an AMERICAN kit, brought into Canada. You're just bringing it back. We paid no duty on it in 2014.

Funding the seller is another challenge: you have American cash, they want Canadian funds. Talk to your bank about converting funds to Canadian and wiring to a Canadian account. Not impossible, but unusual enough that you'll have to ask several people before you find the one who knows how to do it. I suppose you could do cash, but that's another challenge.

In these suspicious times, crossing the border in an empty box truck may raise eyebrows. Make sure your passport is current.

Lastly, probably the most challenging part is simply lashing everything down safely in your truck for the journey. Bring lots of padding! LOTS. The wing cradle, it you get one, may not be sturdy enough for road duty. We hung the wings on the sides of the box, but that's not simple either. Think about this in advance. If you don't want to spend hours in the driveway of the seller, be prepared to pull over into a vacant parking lot down the road to rearrange things to your satisfaction.

Congratulations!

I brought a Cygnet back in 2014. I simply called the supervisor at the particular US border crossing and discussed it with him. I paid no duty and didn’t have to fill out any paperwork. Fuselage and wings were on a trailer and the engine in the bed of my pu.
Jerry

Thanks guys.

Just to re-iterate, this was plans-built, not a kit. So, I suppose, but don't know for sure that the 4130 tubing originated in the USA. The spruce probably came from Canada.

I will call the crossing site and get info, thanks again.

I suspect that the raw materials (4130, aluminum, spruce, etc) all came from Aircraft Spruce anyway. No way to prove at this point where it was manufactured. The materials for my scratch built Bearhawk sure did.

There is no "duty" on aircraft parts and materials between the US and Canada. In Canada we do have to pay a tax (HST) on these items when bringing them into the country and that amount varies depending upon the province. Whether you have to pay some kind of sales/whatever tax upon entering the US I have no idea.

My $0.02

The parts are from a US manufacture, therefore, it is "U. S. Goods returned" status, no duty required.

It is not an aircraft, only parts.

You might need a bill of sale from Vans Aircraft to prve nation of origin.

Hope this helps.

DAR Gary

Back