What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Denver area hangar rentals

paszekj

I’m considering a move to Denver and have an RV14. I realize this is probably a long shot but anyone know of any potential hangar rental opportunities? I’ve started to call around FBOs at Centennial airport but not having much luck. I’d certainly be interested in a community or shared hanger if that were an option. Many thanks!
John Paszek
N615BJ

Hangar space

Call every airport of interest and get on the waiting list.
I am on four.

Don't call Ft. Collins. At least not until they figure out what they plan to do about the 60 tenets they are trying to evict. That's why I'm on four waiting lists. I can't final assemble my airplane because I'm month to month. If I install wings and they send a letter, I have six months to leave. Sounds like plenty of time but life happens. I doubt I could finish a d fly off the test hours in six months. That could mean taking it back apart and finding another space. Better to find space now. What really bites is they knew and didn't tell anyone. Big hornets nest for the politicians.

Moral is ask lots of questions.

I am also curious about this. I have a (very) slow build RV-7 in my garage in Central Park (used to be Stapleton) in Denver, which I am now making steady progress on again. Should be another couple of years to finish, so I'm starting to think about where to hangar it since I know space is tight here.

I'm about 30 minutes from KCFO, KBJC, and KAPA by car. What is the hangar situation and RV presence at each of those?

Thanks!

Someone needs to build a small GA airport in Northern Colorado.

The hangar situation and the airport users will look like California if it doesnt already. The explosion of prairie castles has spilled over to the airports. Its disheartening for guys who have limited aviation dollars.

Oh wait, we had a small GA airport downtown, but it sits unused with weeds growing on a once nice runway.

I cant find anything that doesnt cost 4 times as much as I was paying. Good luck to anyone looking for a space.

Cm

Should be another couple of years to finish, so I'm starting to think about where to hangar it since I know space is tight here.
The situation isn't great, and if you project your completion to be a couple of years from now, I'd get on a wait list yesterday.

I'd love to get a space at KBJC or near, but the waitlist there is 7+ years long. I hear KBDU is 2+ years. KEIK and KLMO are all private, I think.

I've heard that Colorado Spaceport (formerly Front Range) might have some availability, especially if you're willing to purchase. They are also supposed to be adding capacity in the next few years. It is a bit outside of town but right off I-70.

It's worth getting hold of the KLMO airport manager, when they appoint a new one, and talking with him. Every once in a while a private hangar goes on the market, and of course some of them are rentals. You pretty much have to be there.

KBDU has City and private hangars and that manager, too, is worth a call.

Dave

Denver airport options

Hangar space at KLMO, which is where I am based, is pretty tight. All the hangars are privately owned. I don't know of any that are available at the moment. Some new ones are being built, but they appear to be large, amenity rich units. Rich being the operative word.

There are some other options often overlooked for Denver area airports. On the north side of Denver, the residential airpark at Parkland (7CO0) sometimes has lots available. Also Platte Valley (18V) has lots. Someone should fact check this, but I believe at Platte Valley you can build a hangar without building an accompanying home.

Ken

Thank you for the info everyone. And thank you Jim for the PM. Not great news but about what I expected and it is helpful.
I plan to be there for the long-haul so would certainly be interested in building/purchasing. In fact, that would probably be preferred now that I think of it. Maybe a few of us can go in together on a community RV hanger:)
Time to cross my fingers and make some calls.

Last edited:
I made a few calls today. Turns out they are building new hangars at KCFO (CO Air & Space Port) and are taking contracts now for 44x34 ($153,900) and 60x50 ($260,000) hangars to be completed mid-2022.

According to the highly-scaled paper cutouts of RVs I made😉, you should be able to comfortably fit two RV14s in a 44x34. Of course a 7/8 or a high-wing would make it even easier. I think a 60x50 would easily fit 4, possibly 5 planes, esp if 1 or 2 were a high-wing. Can anyone speak from experience?

A little crazy thought but I wonder about the feasibility of finding 3-4 others to go in together on a build. Could be a fun little RV community out at the Space Port. And would make the construction of a "crew rest quarters" much more practical. I say that somewhat facetiously but I'm actually going to look into it and talk to the builder. If there's any interest, please PM me.

P.S., I homebrew🍺:)

Back