What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NEW RV-15

Bob Martin

Well Known Member
Wondering if Vans will be anouncing the new airplane they are working on at Oshkosh???
Vans admitted in there management restructing announcement that they were in fact working on a new airplane or project. Didn't see any speculation posts from that so I am wondering if some of the guys know about this and are trying to keep it quiet for a grand announcement for Oshkosh?
Thoughts?

Want to know too

Ya I had the same thought this weekend. Apparently, Vans has reserved several N numbers with”15” numerals, I wonder if any have been assigned to real aircraft?

I also noticed the various RV15 threads have gone quiet. I was hoping for a “spy” shot on the way to Osh or something.

Ideas

This has been talked about so much since the 14 came out. I suspect there will be an announcement either just before Oshkosh or they will have a major unveiling there.

I have no specific information but have gotten a few subtle hints here and there. First, I must say that the Van's employees list at the top regarding integrity. Not one would reveal a thing during conversations on other topics. They are as quiet as the Skunkworks employees under Kelly Johnson!!!

Disclaimer done. I think it is going to be a high wing plane of some nature to compete with the Ran's S-21s. Hoping for 4 seater with Lycoming power. Might even be a Sportsman style that can go with conventional or trike gear.

Whatever it is, you know Van's will be doing it right.

I’d put my chips on the RV-15 as a high wing to compete with Sportsman or P2010. Likely Lycoming powered, but wouldn’t rule out a 2 seat high-wing with a Rotax 915is turbo engine.

Hopefully Van’s hasn’t abandoned the RV-9A with a 915is engine. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N179RV

That research from their test mule could have been a test platform for using this engine on a future model as well.

Last edited:
Front page

Well Doug hasn’t taken down the front page plug, so I guess it is true. It would be strange for Doug to have that front page, and then Vans comes out with something different.

With Lycoming engines becoming increasingly more expensive, it would be nice for some other options. Rotax, UL Power, I'm sure there's others.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelectric ?

okay, this would be a 'departure' from Van's stable of Lyc's, but they ARE a creative lot...if you recall an earlier model was a motorglider?
...then an electric folding high-wing bushplane trainer with JATO would make sense, right?
....or am I completely insane? cooped up a bit too long? drinking too much Tesla Kool-aide?

Ya I had the same thought this weekend. Apparently, Vans has reserved several N numbers with”15” numerals, I wonder if any have been assigned to real aircraft?
Greg reserved (public information):
N115XV
N215XV
N315XV
N415XV

N18VX
N18XV

N5RV

N80VX
N81VX
N88EX
N88TV

but none of them are registered yet to an actual airplane.

Lots of signs they are working on something, how would you go about hiding that? Has Vans got its own area 51b where the RV15 only flight tests at night? You would think if it is real someone would have seen something.

maybe it has

Lots of signs they are working on something, how would you go about hiding that? Has Vans got its own area 51b where the RV15 only flight tests at night? You would think if it is real someone would have seen something.

All of those grainy UFO images lately from the military?? Coincidence?

You gotta give Vans a lot of credit. They are much, much better at keeping product launch secrets than companies like Apple. Whenever there's a new iPhone, it's easy to see leaked photos many weeks ahead of time. But not with Vans...they really know how to play the game.

On the other hand, it's also possible that there's no RV-15 and they're just being coy to play with us.

anxiously awaiting the influx

If nothing else, it is a great marketing ploy to get a good buzz going for The Big Show :cool:
P.S. the grounds are looking great at Scholler, the current wx fabulous and forecast not bad

okay, this would be a 'departure' from Van's stable of Lyc's, but they ARE a creative lot...if you recall an earlier model was a motorglider?
...then an electric folding high-wing bushplane trainer with JATO would make sense, right?
....or am I completely insane? cooped up a bit too long? drinking too much Tesla Kool-aide?
This made me laugh out loud... and made even funnier by the fact that all your suppositions make total sense except for the JATO (I'm laughing again even as I'm typing this!)... they are indeed a creative lot!

You gotta give Vans a lot of credit. They are much, much better at keeping product launch secrets than companies like Apple. Whenever there's a new iPhone, it's easy to see leaked photos many weeks ahead of time. But not with Vans...they really know how to play the game.

On the other hand, it's also possible that there's no RV-15 and they're just being coy to play with us.

Well, I suppose it takes thousands of people and many many different companies to bring the new I Phones to marked, ready for distribution right at the time of the official announcement. A few less folks involved at Van's....

I don't see stickers for the RV8 or RV7 of all stripes. But Vans is bringing the RV6A back to the market. Hmm.

RV15

Well here are at the 11th hour.....saturday before the Big Show..
Still no announcement about the RV15.....
Vans admits to working on a new project.
Vans reserves RV15 N numbers....
Maybe Monday?

Somebody said something about a twin engine airplane out front of the Vans booth ?? 😳😳. Pure rumours I’m sure.

I’m launching today. Will be there Sunday and of course we will ALL be there Monday 8:30 am for the “What’s new at Vans forum!l

Somebody said something about a twin engine airplane out front of the Vans booth ?? 😳😳. Pure rumours I’m sure.

I’m launching today. Will be there Sunday and of course we will ALL be there Monday 8:30 am for the “What’s new at Vans forum!l

Here’s a picture (started life as an RV, not an RV anymore)… -Jason

Attachments

• 109A91A9-B926-4EDC-AD97-CE3EC727A0BE.jpg
    109A91A9-B926-4EDC-AD97-CE3EC727A0BE.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 491
Twin rv6a

And it has two Corvair engines….

Swap those Corvairs out for the new Yamaha 998 turbo engine (200hp each) that’ll still make 150hp at FL18 and it would become a fierce plane. And drop 200 pounds too.

Looks like he flies at 130kts currently. Bet 400hp would bump that to 185kt. :D

See you there! We'll cover - at least at a very high level - a number of things we've been working on since the last AirVenture.

New Tail# N215RD

New Tail# N215RD as in Research & Development? Ooops! Couldnt be that one! That is on a RANS not a VANS..... Hmmmm?:confused:

Rans

Remember the Rans S-19 was ahead of the RV-12.....
So it could be a colaboration...or just a repeat performance.

New Tandem?

I see the arrow beginning right above the 8 and arching toward the “15.” Coincidence or deliberate? Too bad I’ll be riding a smoker enroute tomorrow during the presentation.

It was packed here already at 8:15. Kitplanes is filming (maybe streaming?) two rows in front of me. Maybe check the EAA A/V page, because I think they were going to be streaming "select forums"?

Attachments

• PXL_20210726_132059503.jpg
    PXL_20210726_132059503.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 265
Back