What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G5 Won't Display Nav Info

Pilotjim77

Well Known Member
The HSI display on my G5 is displaying GPS info from the 430W only. It will not display anything from the nav side of the 430. For example, I loaded a localizer approach into the 430W, and the G5 would not display the green CDI for the approach. I had the CDI button set to VLOC. The CDI was displaying fine on my GRT EFIS.

Any ideas?

I am *pretty sure* the 430W outputs arinc data for ILS thru pins 23/24, and arinc data for gps thru pins 46/47. To get both ils and gps you’ll need two arinc pairs hooked up. I’ll bet that’s what your GRT has. If you only have one arinc in port on the G5, you’ll need an external switch of some kind.

I am *pretty sure* the 430W outputs arinc data for ILS thru pins 23/24, and arinc data for gps thru pins 46/47. To get both ils and gps you’ll need two arinc pairs hooked up. I’ll bet that’s what your GRT has. If you only have one arinc in port on the G5, you’ll need an external switch of some kind.

The G5 uses a CAN bus for this data which requires the use of a GAD29 ARINC converter, the G5 has no 429 inputs.

ARINV 429 Data

As others have suggested, there may be a problem with the ARINC 429 lines. A GAD 29 must be installed between the GNS 430(W) and the G5 to facilitate this. It may be that you have the serial datapath hooked up which does provide very limited navigation data to pass through, including lateral navigation data for VFR use only.

If you would like, send over a wiring diagram of your current installation to [email protected] and we can help get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks for the replies. Looking at my install book (I had my local shop install my avionics), there is no GAD 29 in my plane. I will look into having one put in.

Can someone post a picture of what it's supposed to display? When I connected my GPS to pin 4 of the G5s this is all I see.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 11.02.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 11.02.04 PM.png
    675.5 KB · Views: 93
When doing an approach:
3926BF20-9B9A-4794-A353-5DB34A2ABCB9.jpg

Enroute:
2B87B328-B832-4238-AD79-384551CF32C9.jpeg

Mine is hooked to a 400w through a GAD29. If you have a GAD13 and OAT sensor and air data, also shows wind data. I also have the GMU11, can’t remember if that is required for it to go into HSI/CDI mode also, but really once you are down the Garmin rabbit hole, you might as well make it a complete system.

Thank you. Looks like I need to follow you down the Garmin rabbit hole and add more things if I want it to display like yours.

Can someone post a picture of what it's supposed to display? When I connected my GPS to pin 4 of the G5s this is all I see.

If I remember correctly, the garmin navigators only send lateral/horizontal CDI data for GPS via RS-232. Everything else comes on the ARINC link.

Last edited:
The answer to this question depends on many things including the GPS you are using.

In one of your postings, you said that you were connecting your Aera 660 to both G5 units.

There is no requirement to install a GAD 29 to connect an Aera 660 to the G5 unit(s).

What do you see on the HSI when you activate a flight plan or a direct-to on your Aera 660?

Steve

Last edited:
Correct, most likely that's why my G5s display what they do and if I want more I'll need a 175 or more expensive panel GPS. That'll be on my next plane then.

An Aera 660/760 makes a great VFR navigator for a G5 system.

What do you see on the HSI when you activate a Direct-To or a flight plan on the Aera 660.

Steve

An Aera 660/760 makes a great VFR navigator for a G5 system.

What do you see on the HSI when you activate a Direct-To or a flight plan on the Aera 660.

Steve

I'm almost sure the pictures I posted above were with a flight plan activated because they're a screenshot of a video I took in flight but I can't say I'm 100% sure. I'll have to see this afternoon or tomorrow when I fly again.

I'm almost sure the pictures I posted above were with a flight plan activated because they're a screenshot of a video I took in flight but I can't say I'm 100% sure. I'll have to see this afternoon or tomorrow when I fly again.
I tested this with an Aera 660 (active flight plan), and it looks like this.

HSIwithNMEALateral.png

Steve

Last edited:
That might be also only for the experimental G5. I have the certified G5s and they have a different software. Maybe the Garmin people can confirm that.

No, this will also work on the certified units.

When you are on the G5 RS-232 setup page with the Aera 660 attached and running, make sure that you see a green checkmark next to the NMEA Input. Also make sure that both your G5 and Aera 660 are setup for the same baud rate.

NMEASetupwithGreenChk.png

When you are using the VNAV feature on the Aera 660/760, you will also see this vertical guidance on the G5 PFD/HSI.

PFDwithNMEAVNAV.png
HSIwithNMEAVNAV.png

Steve

Last edited:
I just checked the settings and they're like your pictures. Here I have the 660 to doing an ILS 04 approach at TYR. I also tried just direct to TYR.

Attachments

• A47A2695-B24D-468A-BC33-4CA78605654E.jpeg
    A47A2695-B24D-468A-BC33-4CA78605654E.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 3FC92C47-227D-4B7A-B7AB-00A235AFA219.jpeg
    3FC92C47-227D-4B7A-B7AB-00A235AFA219.jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 8F5EA7EE-9FFB-41B5-A8BC-DC3A4DD98537.jpeg
    8F5EA7EE-9FFB-41B5-A8BC-DC3A4DD98537.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 40
  • B8D3261B-8550-4309-A847-FB8B48C2C7D9.jpeg
    B8D3261B-8550-4309-A847-FB8B48C2C7D9.jpeg
    483.6 KB · Views: 48
  • CFEC7DDE-6D8A-4593-A565-5555DE94B3B5.jpeg
    CFEC7DDE-6D8A-4593-A565-5555DE94B3B5.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 23A9C7BC-F77F-483B-8DA2-A56F85597A05.jpeg
    23A9C7BC-F77F-483B-8DA2-A56F85597A05.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 57
I just checked the settings and they're like your pictures. Here I have the 660 to doing an ILS 04 approach at TYR. I also tried just direct to TYR.

Which Aera 660 RS-232 port is connected to the G5 units?

Why are you using Aviation In/NMEA and VHF Out instead of NMEA Out 9600 baud?

Was the panel picture taken outside with everything having a GPS fix?

Steve

Last edited:
Port 1 for the GDL39 and Port 2 for the G5s and the JPI830

I'm using that setting because it was the one that worked. I can change it tomorrow to see if it all still works.

*** I don't draw schematics for a living, just for me to remember what I did. :D

Attachments

• Document1b.pdf
    114.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Port 1 for the GDL39 and Port 2 for the G5s and the JPI830

I'm using that setting because it was the one that worked. I can change it tomorrow to see if it all still works.

*** I don't draw schematics for a living, just for me to remember what I did. :D
Thank you. This helps to see more of the big picture.

How confident are you that the Aera 660 and both G5 units are sharing a common power ground? You could try adding a signal ground wire between the black wire on the Aera 660 and pin 6 on each G5. The RS-232 interface won't work without a common ground between the units.

Since you are probably using unshielded wires, you might also check that your wire routing isn't running next to any devices or cables that might interfere with the signal.

Using Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out should work, but that isn't the best choice for your installation which has no source of Aviation In or a need for VHF Out.

Are you using V3.81 software on the Aera 660 and V8.00 software on the G5 units?

Make sure to pull the plane out of the hangar and let everything get a good GPS fix when testing this.

You might also try disconnecting the JPI unit in case it might be creating interference on the common RS-232 signal line. It is generally fine to daisy chain multiple devices on a common RS-232 output like this, but some devices might not support this. I know it is fine to connect the Aera 660 to both G5 units because I have done that many timems, but don't have any experience with a JPI unit.

You will also want to make sure that Navigation Data is enabled on the Navigation Configuration page.
NavigationConfigurationEnabled.png

Steve

Last edited:
I had exactly the same issue when I installed two G5s and Aera660 in my Archer. I took it back to the installer and said I felt I should be able to get the CDI bar up. He made some changes to the upper G5 and the course bars appeared on both the top and bottom G5 s. He would not say what he had done unfortunately, keeping the magic to himself, but I suspect it’s exactly the same issue for you.

I had exactly the same issue when I installed two G5s and Aera660 in my Archer. I took it back to the installer and said I felt I should be able to get the CDI bar up. He made some changes to the upper G5 and the course bars appeared on both the top and bottom G5 s. He would not say what he had done unfortunately, keeping the magic to himself, but I suspect it’s exactly the same issue for you.

Looks like your installer did this to the upper G5 :

You will also want to make sure that Navigation Data is enabled on the Navigation Configuration page.
View attachment 28005
Steve

Thank you. This helps to see more of the big picture.

How confident are you that the Aera 660 and both G5 units are sharing a common power ground? You could try adding a signal ground wire between the black wire on the Aera 660 and pin 6 on each G5. The RS-232 interface won't work without a common ground between the units.

Since you are probably using unshielded wires, you might also check that your wire routing isn't running next to any devices or cables that might interfere with the signal.

Using Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out should work, but that isn't the best choice for your installation which has no source of Aviation In or a need for VHF Out.

Are you using V3.81 software on the Aera 660 and V8.00 software on the G5 units?

Make sure to pull the plane out of the hangar and let everything get a good GPS fix when testing this.

You might also try disconnecting the JPI unit in case it might be creating interference on the common RS-232 signal line. It is generally fine to daisy chain multiple devices on a common RS-232 output like this, but some devices might not support this. I know it is fine to connect the Aera 660 to both G5 units because I have done that many timems, but don't have any experience with a JPI unit.

View attachment 28005
Steve

1- common ground - yes they do but I'll also add that wire you mentioned if it still doesn't work after the setting changes and other things you're suggesting.

2- shielded wires - yes my wires are shielded and I have the shields only connected to the Garmin connectors and floating on the JPI and 660 sides

3- NMEA – (all these were done on the ground, too hot to fly today)
*when I turn off the 660 the G5s show a Red X instead of Green checkmark
* when I turn 660 back on it goes Green checkmark again
* when I place 660 on NMEA Out 4800 the G5s go Red X
* when I place 660 on NMEA 9600 (& fast) the G5s input go green again and the JPI830 likes it too, so it can stay there.

4- yes v8.0 on G5s and v3.81 on 660

5- yes, full GPS signal

6- I was planning on physically removing that JPI830 wire because I've been testing with the JPI unpowered but who knows what the internal connections are doing to that wire even without power BUT when I checked your last suggestion everything worked !

So as per your final suggestion I checked the setting on the primary G5 and it wasn’t enabled. I enabled it and both G5s got their complete NAV info, as you can see in the picture, and the JPI830 is working correctly too.

Thank you very much for your time and effort !!!

PS: FYI, I switched the 660 back to the original "Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out" and it still worked on the G5s and JPI, but I put it back to "NMEA 9600" and left it there as per the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    684.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1569.jpg
    IMG_1569.jpg
    1,016 KB · Views: 48
So as per your final suggestion I checked the setting on the primary G5 and it wasn’t enabled. I enabled it and both G5s got their complete NAV info, as you can see in the picture, and the JPI830 is working correctly too.

Thank you very much for your time and effort !!!
You are welcome. Glad to see it working!

Steve

Back