What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glass panel in a RV 6 Tipper ?

Python

Hi Has anyone installed a Dynon Skyview or HDX or G3X (Garmin)in a RV 6 tipper ? If so how do you work around the panel support brackets which are right where I would want to put my screen ? Any tips appreciated .cheers 🐍.

Sure, many, many folks have done this - including us. Just move the support brackets - search the forums for pictures - there are lots of them.

I used a couple of 1/2” aluminum rods tapped on each end screwed to the panel and sub panel at an angle. Clear of the HDX screens.Had to mill the angle on the ends of the rods and drill the holes inline with panels. It worked out great and is rock solid. I grab the top of the panel near my braces to exit the plane. I can get photos later if interested.

Easy done. Cut the ribs out and install angle straps from the top of the panel to sub panel.

I haven't done it yet, but my plan was to move the existing support brackets towards the middle and place them on either side of the radio stack, and then make two new ones to go outboard of the screens.

RV6 Before:

IMG_0641-L.jpg

After:

IMG_0631%20%282%29-L.jpg
[/IMG]

HDX in RV-6A tip up

I just finished this job on my 2001 RV-6A.
One 10" HDX for the pilot and dual coms, auto pilot panel, audio panel, SDS panel and all the switches and breakers here and there.
Removed both panel supports. The panel is supported on each end with the normal two screws on each end. Then two 3/4" angle in two place on the bottom of the panel. One 3/4" angle straight in front of the pilot angled down to miss the canopy bow when it closes. and the right side with the glovebox is supported by the top of the glove box angle attachment to the sub panel.
The glovebox required a cutout for the canopy bow closure.
I have another RV-6 that I'm working on and will tell you I was going to put a glovebox in it, But decided I didn't like it enough to take up the panel space for it.
Not at the airport so can't send you pictures at this time.
Art

Back