What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing root tape

Jcurry

Well Known Member
Hey Guy's,
Looking for recommendations for wing root tape. I do intend to install Vans seals at some point. I was looking at glider tape and it was $72 for 2 rolls 2"x 36 yds. Ouch! Any suggestions on an alternate tape would be appreciated. Or, has anyone found an economical source for glider tape?

Thank you

Hey Guy's,
Looking for recommendations for wing root tape. I do intend to install Vans seals at some point. I was looking at glider tape and it was $72 for 2 rolls 2"x 36 yds. Ouch! Any suggestions on an alternate tape would be appreciated. Or, has anyone found an economical source for glider tape?

Thank you

Check out Cumulus Soaring. I ordered some from him. $12 per roll for 1" x 36 yds, or $24 per roll for 2"

https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/store/index.php?route=common/home

me too

Didn't want to put the seals on until painted (eventually).
After reading Van's emphatic direction to seal the wing gap - I used duct tape.
Easy to apply, sticks good and seems to do the deed.
Like others have reported in this forum ... I "feel" like it makes a slight performance effect on landing (may be imagination).
Got some laughs when I was going through the preflight with a buddy prior to an intro flight.
He was hesitant to go when he saw that the wings were taped on !
Thinking that glider tape would at least appear more aircraft appropriate.

I bought some tape for this at Lockwood Aviation in Sebring last week, about $15 for a good size roll.
Stan

BUT..................

Didn't want to put the seals on until painted (eventually).
After reading Van's emphatic direction to seal the wing gap - I used duct tape.
Easy to apply, sticks good and seems to do the deed.
Like others have reported in this forum ... I "feel" like it makes a slight performance effect on landing (may be imagination).
Got some laughs when I was going through the preflight with a buddy prior to an intro flight.
He was hesitant to go when he saw that the wings were taped on !
Thinking that glider tape would at least appear more aircraft appropriate.

Everybody knows that Duct Tape is good for 200 mph; Well above the VNE for an RV-12!!

I've used 3M super 33 black electrical tape for over 10 years. I apply it as one piece starting at the top rear wing root, continuing across the top, around the front edge and ending up at the lower rear wing root. It stays on 12 months until it's removed for condition inspection.

Serious question: Any reason to use tape instead of installing Van's seals and replacing them when it's time to paint? Are the seals difficult to install, or is it merely a matter of saving a few dollars? (Obviously I'm not this far long in my build yet.)

I tried using Stucco tape from the local big box store and it did the trick. But I eventually splurged on the glider tape for sail planes and I've found it to be much superior. It stretches just right and sticks better.

Serious question: Any reason to use tape instead of installing Van's seals and replacing them when it's time to paint? Are the seals difficult to install, or is it merely a matter of saving a few dollars? (Obviously I'm not this far long in my build yet.)

I found the seal super easy to install. I would think it would be easy to remove and clean up in prep for paint.

Thanks. Tape locations?

Thanks everyone. This forum is awesome. I ordered glider tape from Cumulus Soaring.
Besides the wings, I was wondering if anyone has installed tape at the base of the vertical where it meets the fuselage and taped the gear leg openings?

Thanks

Electrical tape under the Vans seal?

Vans says in the KAI that the seal is difficult to remove. They also suggest using electrical tape to test following the line drawn for the seal. What about applying electrical tape on the fuselage as suggested then apply the seal on top of the tape. Once the wings are in place the tape and seal should be secure. Then it will be easy to remove before painting. Will likely require new seal after paint.

Try this

I used automobile door edge trim as a PERMANENT replacement for Van's rubber seals. I tried gluing Van's seals on with every glue known to man and still had the stuff come off at the most inopportune time. The noise it makes when the end comes loose and flaps against the fuselage is very disturbing! These door edge seals fit tight and never come loose. I never noticed any change in aerodynamic properties.

Back