What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Explosive Rivet

Tandem46

Well Known Member
Watching a video of a restoration in Cameron Park CA of an early model 1943 F4U Corsair. Apparently Vought did not use blind rivets on the Corsair for tight spaces where conventional rivets couldn’t but used but rather they used “explosive” rivets. Fascinating, and I learned something today! There were many places on my RV where those would have come in handy!

20:30 talks about and then shows the application of the “explosive” rivet.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iolfhkn-npw

Watching a video of a restoration in Cameron Park CA of an early model 1943 F4U Corsair. Apparently Vought did not use blind rivets on the Corsair for tight spaces where conventional rivets couldn’t but used but rather they used “explosive” rivets. Fascinating, and I learned something today! There were many places on my RV where those would have come in handy!

20:30 talks about and then shows the application of the “explosive” rivet.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iolfhkn-npw

That was a cool segment. I don't know if those are still used today, but apparently those guys have thousands of them, all of WWII vintage. They don't appear to be available at Aircraft Spruce.

Explosive Rivets

I've had some for a very long time and use them as a party "favor" when in like minded company.

It's interesting to watch the response when the watchers don't know what's coming.

HFS

I set them off with an open flame source, or a soldering gun tip, but the big boys, a long time ago used friction heating as the input to set them off.

HFS

They are unique for sure, but no longer used. The explosive charge has been tied to corrosion issues, but back in those days testing was not as much focus as simplicity/function was most important. Id love to find some just for my collection of odd stuff. makes the Cherrymax seem so boring!

Found this. Cool!! Strange we are still using surplus from WWII.

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 6.16.10 AM.png

"They don't appear to be available at Aircraft Spruce"

I expect there might be some shipping restrictions....

They are unique for sure, but no longer used. The explosive charge has been tied to corrosion issues, but back in those days testing was not as much focus as simplicity/function was most important. Id love to find some just for my collection of odd stuff. makes the Cherrymax seem so boring!

I would guess that corrosion wasn’t an issue in the WW II aircraft, since they were expected to be shot down or scrapped long before they corroded... and yeah, these things sound really cool!

Back