What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Michelin Pilot tires

hgerhardt

Well Known Member
Anyone tried the Michelin Pilot 5.00-5 tires? Most expensive ones out there, at $214. According to the specs, they're 6.6 lbs/ea vs 4.3 lbs for the cheap Air-Hawks (specs from Aircraft Spruce). Michelin's marketing claims: "With a 21% deeper skid depth..." (relative to who knows). The Pilots are now OEM for Cirrus SR

Last edited:
I went with Michelin 380x150-5 tires since I operate from a grass strip 95% of the time. They are slightly wider and slightly larger diameter but are made to fit on the original 5? rims. I had to modify the wheel pants a little bit so they would have the proper clearance on the sides. Plenty of room on the top side. The airplane sits just slightly higher, maybe an inch, but with the FlyBoys tailwheel it does not affect visibility one bit.

Over the last 6 months I have found that they ride better on the grass than the original Aero Classic tires. They seem to be a high quality tire along the same lines as all the Michelin tires we have on our vehicles. Used the same tubes as the 5.00-5 tires. I would definitely recommend them but only time will tell how they wear.

Last edited:
GY Flight Customs III

For a little less money and weight the GY FCIII are an excellent tire . . .

Desser

Right now Desser is selling the 5x5.00 Flight Special II for $79. Any reviews on that tire?

I tried the Michelin Tires

And took them off after 100 hours. I found them to be too stiff and lacking the feel of the Air Hawks included with my RV4 kit. Yes, they last a long time, but I'd rather use 2 sets of Air Hawk tires (to Michelin one set) that I can get good feed back from while in contact with the runway.
ymmv....

Last edited:
Just ordered a set. It makes sense to take advantage of their once-100-years sale :)

I called Desser yesterday to order a set for my 8. She said I had to be a dealer, and wouldn't sell me anything:confused::mad::confused: Isosceles, are you a dealer? (I still need new tires.)

I went an aircraft tire wear house and saw all the 5x5's they had. No doubt the Michelin is amazing quality.... down side besides price is weight and size. They weigh more and they have a profile and side shoulders larger than many other 5x5's. If you have a 5x5 with smaller outside dimensions and put the Mitchell on you will need to open up your wheel pants. On the plus side for soft field it might be better have wider tread. Other wise if you want quality, long life, good roundness.... one of the best.

Last edited:
Desser Retreads

I have purchased 2 sets of Desser Elite Premium 2 Groove 5.00x5-6ply retreads ($70 ea) for my RV-9a. These last me about 4 years or 400 hours. The grooves are about twice as thick as the Hawks and they last about twice as long. They are heavier than the Hawks and I have not had any problems with them.

I called Desser yesterday to order a set for my 8. She said I had to be a dealer, and wouldn't sell me anything:confused::mad::confused: Isosceles, are you a dealer? (I still need new tires.)

Be sure you are calling Desser Aircraft Tires, not Desser Aerospace:

800-AIR-TIRE

Back