What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shoes

SeanB

Well Known Member
Getting ready to start flying again. Part of this will involve TW training, then eventual transition to my -7. Any recommendations on best shoes to wear for feeling the rudder pedals best? I have a pair of LIFT shoes that I haven't tried yet.

Thanks!

Rounded heels

I use lightweight shoes not specifically branded but I do make sure the heels are rounded so it is easier to move my feet and keep my heels on the floor and not "ride" the brakes on touchdown. The modern sneakers with the big wedge heels did not work for me.
YMMV
Figs

I used to use topsiders and then I bought some cheap full leather "driving shoes" from China and they work really well.

This helps with the feel, but also is just part of a flying ritual I have so that I can get into the flow easier, and stay there.

I think any of the driving shoes would be good, I prefer something that's fire resistant.

Shoes are not very important here...
For TW, underwear is paramount as they are very dangerous beasts.

Everybody take it easy out there :p

Nike Metcon Lifting Shoes

Sean,

I think you ask a great question here! Just last weekend I was in Prescott, AZ for my first 5 hours of TW training. I took a picture of these shoes on my feet and sent it to my son to tell him "thanks" for the hand-me-downs from his recent days as an athlete at USAFA. He said these were his weight-lifting shoes.

When he gave me these shoes a few months ago, I put them on and the first thought that came to my mind was, "these are going to be great flying shoes". And, I believe that has proven true. Low profile, thin, flat soles. I get great feedback on where those pedals are on my feet. Nike Metcon

You may remember us a few years ago when you graciously showed us your RV-7 build there in CO Springs.

Ryan

Attachments

• flying shoes #1.jpg
    flying shoes #1.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 142
Chuck Taylors

I'm a new RV-7 TW flyer myself with around 60 hours. I like wearing the old Converse All Star shoes (Chuck Taylors). I get a good feel of the rudder pedals with those. Plus they are cooling looking too! :D

Doug
RV-7 Flying!

Nike vs Adidas...I'd be torn. I'd probably go with Nike. You know...Michael Jordan and all....

Accessories

It's all about the accessories and how they make you feel that day. Or so I'm led to believe! :D

Mike

Old school. Nike Cortez. Smooth sole, flexible and and just bought a pair in red to match my -8.

Converse.
Make sure they match your airplane.
Gives you superior rudder control ;)

Getting ready to start flying again. Part of this will involve TW training, then eventual transition to my -7. Any recommendations on best shoes to wear for feeling the rudder pedals best? I have a pair of LIFT shoes that I haven't tried yet.

Thanks!

I wear light weight shoes with a someone rounded profile, Tried hiking boots a few times but I hated that.

I alway wondered Military pilots wore on flying on duty, standard combat boots? or do the wear something special?

I usually wear a pair of Johnston and Murphy Cort shoes. Incredibly comfortable. Light. Thin. Nice rounded heel. I LOVE them in my Cessna 140. They are my go to for TW aircraft. They are like driving shoes.

VAN's Checkerboards..gotta have'em

I mean, your going to fly a Van's airplane, so why not wear Van's shoes..the other Van's. I have wide feet and find the biggest issue in my -4 is the rudder pedal side pieces will wedge anything bulky, so my go-to-shoe is the VAN's brand slip on. Lots of colors, but I choose the checkerboards. The floor of the aircraft makes a difference also, I personally like metal floor, and I have thin stainless steel in my footwells for that purpose. Your heel needs to slide and carpet or rubber can make things worse.

Another vote for Converse Chuck Taylors, narrow, thin soles and because they lace to the toe accommodate narrow feet. Another plus is that they come in a wide variety of colors. Also cheap!

What ever shoes I have on at the time I decide to go fly. Maybe if you can’t get a feel for the rudder pedals you need to move your seat forward. :)

Slip on Vans for me. Some years ago I bought a particularitly evil TW airplane and bought the Vans to help with the feel. Been using them ever since. Flying in almost any other type shoe removes all feel - its like trying to thread a sewing needle wearing oven mits.

Another shoe that give good feel is the Crow racing shoe. Its nomex and can be hot, but I will wear it on the rare occasions I wear a nomex flight suit.

Last edited:
I know this will go 180° from everyone else, but I have worn nothing but cowboy boots since the fifth grade, and that'w what I wear when flying.

The only time I wear soft shoes is while crawling through airplanes inspecting.

I shook my head and passed up this thread earlier today. But I'm back. The -8 is different. Careful with wide shoes, like hiking shoes with a flared sole or just plain old wide feet. My worn out deck shoes work well. Or my (narrow soled) Salomon hiking shoes. Don't care for my work/dress shoes. And with the mod'd -8 rudder pedals, I prefer something that's got a little grip at the ball of the foot to engage the rod across the mid point of the pedal.

Those Hey Dudes look pretty nice! (See, I learned something reading the thread!!)

The fire concerns and shoes have made me think lately. But if I upgrade for fire resistant shoes, then I'd have to give up my cargo shorts and t shirts...

Last edited:
I started to fly gliders first. My instructor always told me:

"Wear shoes you are willing to walk home in!"

Still find that to be good advice in particular if you go to smaller and or remote airports.

Oliver

Back when I was doing my TW training I picked up a pair of minimalist running shoes. I briefly considered those five-finger ones, but couldn't quite bring myself to wear those. Instead I got a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves.

Fun fact, I ended up loving the shoes so much that they became my daily wear, and I'm now on my third pair.

I’m still shaking my head…lol…now wardrobe is a factor in flying ability/skill..WOW !

Are you kidding? Wait until I start a thread about my stylish black nomex flight suit including a patch with my name on it! :D

Don't forget the important rules of flying that Dan found on his recent trip:

Flying Rules.jpeg

Are you kidding? Wait until I start a thread about my stylish black nomex flight suit including a patch with my name on it! :D

Don't forget the important rules of flying that Dan found on his recent trip:

Which is why sliders out sell tip-ups and tail dragger builders/fliers are always commenting on tri-gear.
Now we can really get the popcorn popping on this thread.

Attachments

• FBEBD73C-09C4-4688-A4E7-A7544170EB6F.jpeg
    FBEBD73C-09C4-4688-A4E7-A7544170EB6F.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 84
Not a Vans but you get the point…

Attachments

• 892F7367-6469-484B-931A-4993520CF41C.jpg
    892F7367-6469-484B-931A-4993520CF41C.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 181
I've gotta say... I have never given much thought to my shoes for flying.....
other than I have been aware of potential for fire, escape, etc.... so no flip flops, etc...
Generally I just wear whatever sneakers, trying to stay away from synthetics when I happen to have the option but I don't purposely buy with that in mind.

Maybe that's why I never got a great feel for flying tailwheel and actually having to use the rudder! I can see where shoes could make a difference....

This thread reminded me of one a while back over at the Pilots of America forum.... titles something like "what are pilots wearing these days if not cargo shorts and New Balance sneakers?"
except this was a serious legit question about shows and that was more of a joke on middle aged men's choice of fashion.

Flying Fashion

I know this will go 180° from everyone else, but I have worn nothing but cowboy boots since the fifth grade, and that'w what I wear when flying.

I know several pilots who fly in their socks or barefoot. Nope. Nope. Nope. If the firewall/rudder pedals are heating up, I would like to stay on them as long as possible.

I like the looks of some of the racing shoes. Nomex makes sense or something that is fire-retardant. AND, as said before, something you wouldn't mind walking home in....or to the nearest farm house.

I wear cowboy boots in the Cub as that 2 inch heel helps me to reach the heel brakes a little better. I don't like them in SuzieQ. I have a pair of shoes I bought somewhere :confused: that I like to wear when flying a -4.....

Nomex

I know several pilots who fly in their socks or barefoot. Nope. Nope. Nope. If the firewall/rudder pedals are heating up, I would like to stay on them as long as possible.

I like the looks of some of the racing shoes. Nomex makes sense or something that is fire-retardant. AND, as said before, something you wouldn't mind walking home in....or to the nearest farm house.

I wear cowboy boots in the Cub as that 2 inch heel helps me to reach the heel brakes a little better. I don't like them in SuzieQ. I have a pair of shoes I bought somewhere :confused: that I like to wear when flying a -4.....

I wore Nomex racing boots driving the race car. Mandatory, but nothing else like them for feel. The heels are round so your feet can rotate at the ankle easily without catching on floor stuff. Soles are very flexible. Sparco makes some really good stuff. Get the Nomex socks too.

Loving them…

Back when I was doing my TW training I picked up a pair of minimalist running shoes. I briefly considered those five-finger ones, but couldn't quite bring myself to wear those. Instead I got a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves.

Fun fact, I ended up loving the shoes so much that they became my daily wear, and I'm now on my third pair.

I thought he was going to say he bought the company 😊

Boots or shoes

Cowboy boots worked well in my old Citabrias and Cardinals but not my RV4.

In the 4, thin sole racing shoes or similar work better.

Tim

You are correct however I'll take that risk. I live in south Florida and drive without shoes on and also fly that way. Most shoes will melt on people feet pretty quickly these days.

The most important thing is to wear shoes that match the color of your plane.

I'll go ya one better...I use custom Van's (the shoes, not the planes) slip-on canvas shoes that match the plane, AND have the N-number embroidered on 'em. They stay in the plane, so I don't track gravel, oil, dirt, etc., into the cockpit. :) Needless to say, my flying buddies give me no end of gas about this ha ha!

Gotta fly with style, after all!

foot wear

My three cents worth is I will not wear boots.
Any tennis/running shoe that is in good shape will work for me.
If I have to put it down in the woods or some far away pasture, I want something that will hold up for a bit of walking.
Art

Kustom from Buckle

I’ve run the Crow racing shoes, leftovers from Miata time. Still wear them on dry winter days. Vans are good, but I found them hard to transfer up a little to get to the brakes. I bought a set Kustom brand shoes from Buckle as boat shoes, which they suck at being, but they are great flying shoes. The soles have a Fiber material in the rubber making them rather like a leather sole letting me slide up and down the pedal a bit.

I found running shoes to be bad.

I'll go ya one better...I use custom Van's (the shoes, not the planes) slip-on canvas shoes that match the plane, AND have the N-number embroidered on 'em. They stay in the plane, so I don't track gravel, oil, dirt, etc., into the cockpit. :) Needless to say, my flying buddies give me no end of gas about this ha ha!

Gotta fly with style, after all!

This is next level!

Back