What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt Fastener Kits

Pilotjim77

Well Known Member
Skybolt has a kit for just the upper cowl along the firewall, which is what I want. Is this a job that can be done as a modification to an existing plane, or is it only for new builds? I reached out to Skybolt but have not heard back yet.

Hi Jim,

I'm sorry that I cannot answer your question regarding retrofitting a kit.

However, if you determine to go this route I have a kit available that I purchased for my RV-7 build and decided not to go with it.

I sent you a PM with my contact information, if you are interested.

Ryan

Hi Jim,

I'm sorry that I cannot answer your question regarding retrofitting a kit.

However, if you determine to go this route I have a kit available that I purchased for my RV-7 build and decided not to go with it.

I sent you a PM with my contact information, if you are interested.

Ryan

Thanks, Ryan. Once I find out if I can use it, I will let you know.

Jim

Can be added with basic tools.
Hand squeezer, drill, clecos and Cleoc pliers, center punch.

Roll your own flange to hold skybolt.

Made of .032–.040 X 1 1/2 and set spacing.

On my sight go to hangar, then about 1/2 way down.

Boomer

Last edited:
Skybolts

I just installed a bunch. Cowl/Firewall. Cowl/Splits. Forward cowl inlets because I modified the Vans design. Feel free to reach out. Info below.

Having used screws/nutplates in that location on one airplane and Milspec fasteners (Skybolt's close relative) on another. I'd probably choose screws given the choice.

Screws are easier to install and there are no fasteners grabbing things they shouldn't when you install/remove the cowl. Besides, screws/nutplates give a more flush fit and cost a fraction of what the Skybolts/Milspec fasteners do.

My $0.02.

Back