What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I went into my shop after a two week absence and found that I had quite a bit of surface corrosion on my aileron skin. The only thing I can imagine it being from would be my body sweat as it was quite hot last time and I was sweating quite a bit. I was surprised that the protective coating on the aluminum would have allowed for this to happen. Does anyone have any thoughts on this (besides the fact that it’s gross).

Yes sweat .. Do a search here
and net .
Sweat aluminum corrosion.

Sweaty Aluminum handlebars on bikes comes up a lot as well..

Sure u already know...but don't use crud cutter etc cleaning etc sprays .. :).

Sorry for your status , glad its somewhat early .. . I had some on hstab after absence and ended up w painted instead of polished tail..

I went into my shop after a two week absence and found that I had quite a bit of surface corrosion on my aileron skin. The only thing I can imagine it being from would be my body sweat as it was quite hot last time and I was sweating quite a bit. I was surprised that the protective coating on the aluminum would have allowed for this to happen. Does anyone have any thoughts on this (besides the fact that it’s gross).

It's a pretty good example of how little corrosion protection the Alclad (pure aluminium) layer actually provides. But easy to rectify minor corrosion on the exterior which will be prepped and painted later. The interior is a different matter altogether....I trust that is properly primed.

It's a pretty good example of how little corrosion protection the Alclad (pure aluminium) layer actually provides. But easy to rectify minor corrosion on the exterior which will be prepped and painted later. The interior is a different matter altogether....I trust that is properly primed.

Funny you say that because I built it backwards and had to take it apart allowing me to inspect and fix the interior areas I would not have seen otherwise.

Back